"With that disruption in his schedule, he has not been able to take part in our daily training activities and he's going to need a little more time to get acclimated to the strenuous demands of a NASCAR racing schedule,” Newmark explained. “Obviously we would love to have him back out on the track, but we are not prepared to do that until we are sure that he's 100 percent."
Unusually, Roush Fenway have decided not to replace Bayne at the Nationwide Series race at Iowa, and have said that they will not be running the #16 at all at the John Deere Dealers 250 at Iowa Speedway on Sunday.
In the first two Nationwide races for which he was absent, Bayne's seat was taken by 18-year-old Roush Fenway development driver Chris Buescher, who finished a solid 17th place in both races. The #16 was taken over by Kevin Swindell, 17-year-old son of Sprint Car legend Sammy Swindell, for last week's race at Dover International Speedway, but Swindell's race ended early when he was involved in an accident with Alex Kennedy, for which Kennedy was subsequently summoned to the NASCAR hauler.
Less surprisingly, Wood Brothers have also announced that they will not run a replacement for Bayne at the All-Star event at Charlotte - although the team has said that they do still intend to participate in the Pit Crew Challenge on Thursday evening.
Although the press announcement stressed that this is a joint decision between Roush Fenway and Wood Brothers, in fact Bayne is first and foremost a Roush driver and is released to Wood Brothers by arrangement.
"We knew all along that there was not a timetable for his return," said Eddie Wood, co-owner of Wood Brothers Racing. "We knew it would be a process and we continue to work towards his return. Trevor really wants to be back, and we remain hopeful that we'll have him competing again soon."