NASCAR » 7 September 2012
Newman happy to extend stay at Stewart/Haas
Ryan Newman has re-signed with Stewart/Haas Racing for at least one more season behind the wheel of the #39 - even though no sponsorship deal for the car has yet been confirmed.
Stewart/Haas Racing has confirmed that Ryan Newman has signed a one-year extension with the team for 2013.
"Proud to let everyone know that I will be back with Stewart/Haas Racing and the #39 team in 2013," Newman announced on Twitter on Thursday morning.
Despite the news, the #39 car still has a huge funding problem after the decision of its major sponsor the US Army to end its backing at the end of the current season, even though Newman said that he was optimistic that the issue would be resolved over the coming weeks.
"I feel fairly confident that we'll have good branding on the car," said Newman, although he admitted that he didn't know who that would be yet. "But I can tell you this for sure, it's going to be multiple sponsorships. I think the days of having one banner sponsor for an entire season are pretty much over."
Newman said that he'd always intended to stay with the team and never seriously pursued openings elsewhere.
"I had conversations with other teams," he admitted. "But I never pursued it, never put anything on paper. It was kind of more, I guess, like fishing in a pond. Every once in a while you cast in a different direction just to see if you get a bite."
Newman said that there were still deals and opportunities available, but he'd had too much loyalty to his current team to actively pursue them.
"I have more respect for the people who have given me an opportunity than that," he said. "It just wasn't my goal to go out there and knock every door down ... That's not what my personal goal was."
He did admit that he'd had to take a pay cut to retain his seat with the team, however: "I think in general everybody out there right now has taken a pay cut," Newman agreed. "No different than the cost of a seat in the grandstands is down. It all correlates."
The news about Newman's new deal with Stewart/Haas doesn't mean that as yet, team co-owner Tony Stewart had any new sponsorship deals to announce.
"You have to start first with something," explained Stewart of his decision to push ahead with Newman's contract extension despite the uncertainty. "It's kind of what is first, the chicken or the egg. It's hard to get sponsors if you don't have a driver. And, it's hard to have a driver if you don't have sponsors. So, we had to start somewhere."
Stewart admitted that the loss of Office Depot, the main backer of his own #14 car, had been a major blow to the team.
Click on relevant pic to enlarge
Start the conversation - Add your comment
Although the administrators and moderators of this website will attempt to keep all objectionable comments off these pages, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the poster, and neither Crash Media Group nor Crash.Net will be held responsible for the content of any message. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. If you find a message objectionable, please contact us and inform us of the problem or use the [report] function next to the offending post. Any message that does not conform with the policy of this service can be edited or removed with immediate effect.