NASCAR »

Smith takes blame for Daytona smash

Seven injured fans went to Halifax Medical Center in Daytona Beach, and six to nearby Halifax Health in Port Orange. A spokesman from Halifax Health said that all but two of their patients had been discharged by Sunday afternoon. The status of the two remaining patients previously listed in critical condition after the accident had been upgraded overnight and they were now said to be stable. The other injured fan had been taken to Florida Hospital Memorial Center, but a spokesman there would not disclose the patient's condition.

In the circumstances there was understandably little appetite for celebration in victory lane, and drivers were also steadfastly avoiding playing the blame game.

Brad Keselowski for one wasn't about to criticise Smith for the move that caused the wreck. "We made a move to try and win the race. We were in the catbird seat, Regan was in a good spot. He was first and I was second and we were pushing.

"I kind of had the run and the move to win the race, and Regan obviously tried to block it, and that's understandable. He wants to win too, and at the end it just caused chaos.

"I really hope everyone in the grandstands is okay, I think that's the most important thing right now," Keselowski added. "There was obviously a big wreck with a lot of debris and cars torn up."

"It happens on the last lap,” said Dale Earnhardt Jr., who was involved in the wreck himself and is also the car owner of Smith's #7 entry. "Always does. You can bet on it."

"We've always known since racing was started this is a dangerous sport," race winner Tony Stewart said in the winner's circle. "We assume that risk. It's hard when the fans get caught up in it."

Despite Larson's car being literally torn in half by its encounter with the catchfence, the 20-year-old Japanese-American series rookie was miraculously able to climb out and walk away from the wrecked #32. He was later examined and cleared by the medical centre, along with all the other drivers involved.

β€œIt's definitely been one I'll never forget,” the young Earnhardt-Ganassi driver said. "Yeah, it was definitely a big hit. Hopefully, I don't have another one like that in stock cars.”

For former X-Games star Travis Pastrana - now a full-time Nationwide driver with Roush Fenway Racing - it was the first time that he had been right at the heart of a Daytona 'Big One.'




Related Pictures

Click on relevant pic to enlarge
Danica Patrick, driver of the #34 GoDaddy.com Chevrolet, leads the pack during the NASCAR Nationwide Series DRIVE4COPD 300 at Daytona International Speedway on February 23, 2013 in Daytona Beach, Florida. (Photo Credit: Jared C. Tilton/Getty Images for NASCAR)
Trevor Bayne, driver of the #6 Cargill Ford, leads the start during the NASCAR Nationwide Series DRIVE4COPD 300 at Daytona International Speedway on February 23, 2013 in Daytona Beach, Florida. (Photo Credit: Jared C. Tilton/Getty Images)
Mike Wallace, driver of the #01 G&K Services/Flex Seal Chevrolet, spins out following an incident during the NASCAR Nationwide Series DRIVE4COPD 300 at Daytona International Speedway on February 23, 2013 in Daytona Beach, Florida. (Photo Credit: Jerry Markland/Getty Images)
Tony Stewart, driver of the #33 Oreo/Ritz Chevrolet, poses with the trophy after winning the NASCAR Nationwide Series DRIVE4COPD 300 at Daytona International Speedway on February 23, 2013 in Daytona Beach, Florida. (Photo Credit: Jerry Markland/Getty Images for NASCAR)
Daytona International Speedway President Joie Chitwood holds a news conference with NASCAR Nationwide Series President Steve O`Donnell (not pictured) after an incident on the last lap of the NASCAR Nationwide Series DRIVE4COPD 300 at Daytona International Speedway on February 23, 2013 in Daytona Beach, Florida. (Photo Credit: Mike Ehrmann/Getty Images for NASCAR)
Daytona International Speedway President Joie Chitwood holds a news conference with NASCAR Nationwide Series President Steve O`Donnell after an incident on the last lap of the NASCAR Nationwide Series DRIVE4COPD 300 at Daytona International Speedway on February 23, 2013 in Daytona Beach, Florida. (Photo Credit: Mike Ehrmann/Getty Images for NASCAR)
Jimmie Johnson, driver of the #48 Lowe`s Chevrolet SS, finished fourth and Kyle Larson, driver of the #42 Target Chevrolet SS, finished twelfth Saturday, August 23, 2014 in the Nascar Sprint Cup race at Bristol Motor Speedway in Bristol, Tennessee. (Photo by Rusty Jarrett/HHP for Chevy Racing)
Joey Logano, driver of the #22 Shell Pennzoil Ford, celebrates with a burnout after winning the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Irwin Tools Night Race at Bristol Motor Speedway on August 23, 2014 in Bristol, Tennessee. (Photo Credit: Patrick Smith/Getty Images)
Danica Patrick, driver of the #10 GoDaddy Chevrolet, is involved in an incident during the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Irwin Tools Night Race at Bristol Motor Speedway on August 23, 2014 in Bristol, Tennessee. (Photo Credit: Patrick Smith/Getty Images)
Kyle Busch, driver of the #18 Doublemint Toyota, Aric Almirola, driver of the #43 STP Ford, and Clint Bowyer, driver of the #15 5-hour Energy Toyota, are involved in an on-track incident during the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Irwin Tools Night Race at Bristol Motor Speedway on August 23, 2014 in Bristol, Tennessee. (Photo Credit: Sean Gardner/Getty Images)
Kyle Larson, driver of the #42 ENEOS Chevrolet, is involved in an incident during the NASCAR Nationwide Series Food City 300 at Bristol Motor Speedway on August 22, 2014 in Bristol, Tennessee. (Photo Credit: Rainier Ehrhardt/Getty Images)
Ryan Blaney, driver of the #22 Discount Tire Ford, celebrates in Victory Lane after winning the NASCAR Nationwide Series Food City 300 at Bristol Motor Speedway on August 22, 2014 in Bristol, Tennessee. (Photo Credit: Patrick Smith/Getty Images)
Ryan Blaney, driver of the #22 Discount Tire Ford, celebrates with a burnout after winning the NASCAR Nationwide Series Food City 300 at Bristol Motor Speedway on August 22, 2014 in Bristol, Tennessee. (Photo Credit: Patrick Smith/Getty Images)
Ryan Blaney, driver of the #22 Discount Tire Ford, takes the chequered flag to win the NASCAR Nationwide Series Food City 300 at Bristol Motor Speedway on August 22, 2014 in Bristol, Tennessee. (Photo Credit: Brian Lawdermilk/NASCAR via Getty Images)
Brad Keselowski, driver of the #19 DrawTire Ford, celebrates in victory lane after winning the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series UNOH 200 presented by ZLOOP at Bristol Motor Speedway on August 21, 2014 in Bristol, Tennessee.  (Photo Credit: Patrick Smith/NASCAR via Getty Images)
Brad Keselowski, driver of the #19 DrawTire Ford, poses with the trophy in victory lane after winning the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series UNOH 200 presented by ZLOOP at Bristol Motor Speedway on August 21, 2014 in Bristol, Tennessee.  (Photo Credit: Patrick Smith/NASCAR via Getty Images)
Brad Keselowski, driver of the #19 DrawTire Ford, celebrates with a burnout after winning the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series UNOH 200 presented by ZLOOP at Bristol Motor Speedway on August 21, 2014 in Bristol, Tennessee.  (Photo Credit: Patrick Smith/NASCAR via Getty Images)
Jake Crum, driver of the #01 My Freedom Smokes Chevrolet, and Bryan Silas, driver of the #99 Bell Trucks America Inc. Chevrolet, are involved in an incident during the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series UNOH 200 presented by ZLOOP at Bristol Motor Speedway on August 21, 2014 in Bristol, Tennessee. (Photo Credit: Patrick Smith/NASCAR via Getty Images)

Join the conversation - Add your comment

Please login or register before adding your comments.

Although the administrators and moderators of this website will attempt to keep all objectionable comments off these pages, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the poster, and neither Crash Media Group nor Crash.Net will be held responsible for the content of any message. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. If you find a message objectionable, please contact us and inform us of the problem or use the [report] function next to the offending post. Any message that does not conform with the policy of this service can be edited or removed with immediate effect.


lynnN

February 27, 2013 1:37 AM

Regan only done what all drivers do at Daytona and Talladega. I think it is great of him to man up and admitt it and I know there is noone that feels worse about it happening than him other than those that were hurt. BEST WISHES TO ALL THOSE FAN THAT WAS HURT AND GET WELL SOON. I guess on the bright side if there is one is that not many fans can say the get to carry a battle scar from the Datona 500. Just joking guys and ladis that were injuried, very glad is wasn't worse

Michael Groves - Unregistered

February 24, 2013 4:13 PM

I'm no fan of brad but to say he could've lifted you clearly have never raced before! He was gunning for the win, Smith shouldn't have moved across as much as he did when he did! Best thing he could've done was move the other way and leave brad cast adrift, instead he took the brainless option and moved across on a quickly advancing car! Some would say he's defending his position, but in pack bumpdraft racing like NASCAR restrictor plate races you simply can't do that!



© 1999 - 2014 Crash Media Group

The total or partial reproduction of text, photographs or illustrations is not permitted in any form.