BK Racing announced on Monday that David Reutimann had left the team with immediate effect, following a disappointing first season together in 2013.

"After completing a full season with BK Racing in 2013, the decision has been mutually made to part ways between driver David Reutimann and BK Racing effective immediately," a statement from the team revealed.

"Due to the current uncertainty of the team's 2014 driver lineup, driver David Reutimann has decided not to pursue a seat with BK Racing for 2014," the statement added. "No official driver lineup for the upcoming season is currently available at this time."

Reutimann - a two-time race winner in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series - led just a single lap in 2013 and finished in the top 20 only once all year after placing 16th in the season-opening Daytona 500.

Reuitmann was replaced in the #83 by Alex Bowman for testing at Charlotte Motor Speedway in December, and Bowman will also take over the car again this week for the Preseason Thunder testing at Daytona International Speedway.

Meanwhile Ryan Truex revealed on Twitter that he will test BK Racing's #93 car this week at Daytona. The car was previously driven by Travis Kvapil in 2013.

Chase Elliott gets full-time Nationwide seat with JRM

JR Motorsports has revealed that 18-year-old Chase Elliott will drive their #9 entry in the 2014 NASCAR Nationwide Series.

"I just couldn't be any more excited and any more fortunate," said Elliott, who is one of Hendrick Motorsports' development drivers. "I feel it's the opportunity of a lifetime, and this is my chance to do what I love to do and make the most of it."

The #9 car will be funded by sponsorship from NAPA Auto Parts, after the company ended its association with Sprint Cup Series team Michael Waltrip Racing at the end of 2013 over the allegations of 'race rigging' at Richmond.

"I wasn't real sure about my future," said Elliott. "Fortunately, NAPA kind of came along and showed some interest, and we were able to get some things worked out, and thankfully that's where we're at today."

"Chase has been extremely successful, and I think the Nationwide Series is only a short step for him," said team co-owner Dale Earnhardt Jr. "With the infrastructure we have at JR Motorsports and our close-working partnership with Hendrick Motorsports, we have every opportunity to continue Chase's development as a driver while contending for a championship. He's that good."

Elliott - who is already a proven race-winner with one victory under his belt in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series in 2013 - is the son of former Cup champion Bill Elliott, who will also be involved in the team's Nationwide efforts in this week's Daytona testing.

"Bill Elliott is certainly one of the greats, I've always looked up to him," said Earnhardt. "He had some great battles with my dad. Certainly, The Winston in 1987 is an all-time favourite. It was probably some of the hardest racing you'll see, and it's fun to watch even today. I think there are a lot of Elliott fans and Earnhardt fans that will take interest in Chase's career and support him 100 percent."

Limited Nationwide outing for Hornish at Joe Gibbs

Sam Hornish Jr. will compete for Joe Gibbs Racing in at least seven races in 2014, but is unlikely to get a full-time seat this season.

Hornish has agreed to pilot the #54 car on the occasions when Kyle Busch is not competing. The move to JGR marks a significant new phase for Hornish, who has hitherto been associated with the Penske Racing squad,

"When you look at where I've been for the past 10 years and who I've been associated with there's only a handful of people you can put in a category with Roger Penske and obviously, Joe, with his faith, and everything that's represented at Joe Gibbs Racing, I'm super excited to be a part of that organization," Hornish told NASCAR.com.

"Obviously, I'm still trying to figure out how to get more racing in, but the races I'm scheduled to do will be in top-notch equipment and hopefully give them an opportunity to try to win the owners' championship this year."

Hornish's JGR d?but will be on May 3 at Talladega, with further outings at Chicagoland, Kentucky, Road America and Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course as well as two races as Iowa Speedway.

Mayfield pleads guilty to drugs misdemeanour

Former NASCAR driver Jeremy Mayfield has pleaded guilty in North Carolina Superior Court to three misdemeanours, two for possession of stolen goods and one for possession of drug paraphernalia.

Mayfield - who was suspended indefinitely from NASCAR competition in 2009 after failing a drugs test - was sentenced to 45 days in jail, which will be suspended as long as he doesn't violate an 18-month probation. In addition, he also must pay $88,124.41 in restitution to the victims and $1,100 in fines and court costs.

The plea - known as an Alford plea in which the defendant admits there is sufficient evidence to convict, but not to actual wrongdoing - was in exchange for dropping seven felony charges (one charge of possession of methamphetamine, five charges for possession of stolen goods and one charge of obtaining property under false pretences) that could have landed him 20 years in jail.

"It's been something that has been held over us and we weren't able to move forward and move on with our lives, and that is something that was very important for us to do -- keep going and get it behind us," he said after Monday's court hearing. "I'm looking to start over with a fresh start."

The charges stem from a police search of his home in November 2011. The search warrant had been issued on the basis of information received from confidential informant John K Franklin who has since died in a motorcycle accident, which inclined prosecutors to plead out the case.

Comments

Join the conversation - Add your comment

Please login or register to add your comment