BACK TO CRASH.NET
Crash.Net RR News
Southern 100 date for Martin - but only to watch
14 July 2010
Guy Martin, who is still recovering form injuries sustained in a 170mph crash during the 2010 Isle of Man TT, will be back in the Island on Thursday to watch the race he had hoped to make his competitive return in.
The 29-year-old crashed heavily on lap three of the Senior TT, injuring his legs, chest and back. Although the injuries were relatively minor given the severity of the crash – which led to the race being stopped so firefighters could attend the scene – Martin was warned it would take time to get back to full fitness.
Despite the warnings, he targeted the Southern 100, held around the 4.25-mile Billown circuit in the south of Isle of Man, for his return to racing – barely a month after his TT smash.
It was always an ambitious target, but the Kirmington rider was determined to defend the Solo Championship title he battled so hard to win last year.
However, just days before the event, which started on Monday and runs until Thursday, Martin had to admit defeat and withdraw from the entry list. He said he was bitterly disappointed, but had to listen to the medical advice.
The Southern 100 organisers have now announced Martin will attend Championship Day on Thursday, thanks to main sponsor The Isle of Man Steam Packet arranging the rider's travel.
Club President Derek Nicholson said:
'Whilst we would have preferred to have seen Guy defending his Solo Championship title, it is equally pleasing that he is able to be here at Billown to enjoy the atmosphere and excitement, and I'm sure he will receive a tremendous welcome from all the fans and enthusiasts around the course during his time in Castletown.'
'We wish Guy a rapid recovery to full fitness and look forward to welcoming him back to the Steam Packet International Southern 100 Road Races in 2011.'
BACK TO CRASH.NET