RR » Wayne Gardner demands immediate TT ban

Wayne Gardner, the 1987 500cc Grand Prix World Champion, has demanded the Isle of Man TT is banned 'now' following two deaths at the 2010 event.

The Truth - Unregistered

July 02, 2010 10:02 PM

It will only take one mother/wife of a dead or injured rider to sue the orginisers on safety grounds and the TT is history.

Wayne is right ..it is too dangerous and I cant see it running for too much longer.

Cheers.

Hairy - Unregistered

July 02, 2010 10:03 PM

Look, WG is entitled to his view, and just cos you disagree, posting abuse hardly promotes your point of view. The fact is the TT is almost guaranteed to result in deaths. When I was there in my twenties I would loved to have raced there. Now I'm older I see the risks more objectively and they are massive. It really is a gamble, skill alone is not enough (RIP Jeffries). Like the Nurburgring, it's awesome that it exists, and fantastic to experience. Doesn't get away from the fact that it's it really really **** when people get killed.

Apical

July 02, 2010 10:26 PM

I respect Wayne G but I do not agree with him. Yes the TT is a big challenge, W.G. chose not to race there, fine. Many riders do choose to race at the Island because it is a Huge challenge.

Wayne was good on short tracks, I saw him win at Amaroo park, 1.8 kilometers. Obviously a sixty kilometer circuit is not so good for riders with a short attention span. But it is possible to learn the track.

Do not try to stop the T.T. please, I may get there.

kwikkwak

July 02, 2010 10:34 PM

WG is welcome to his opinion.I personally dont agree with it,that it should be banned i mean.Its dangerous yes,that goes without saying.But ask the riders that have crashed,like Conor Cummins and Martin,would they want it banned?doubt it.They know the risks.As for the slower amateur riders.Someone has already posted that they dont make much,if any,money from it.Its all personal choice.

unfazed - Unregistered

July 02, 2010 11:01 PM

What stone did he crawl out from, suddenly this one win wonder is an expert. What do we do next? we ban road racing, then downhill cycling , then climbing K2, then round the world yacht racing, where would it stop. This is an ar5eh0le who is best ignored as he is only looking for publicity. He is to be pitied and wrapped in bubble wrap least he hurt himself. :? :?

Westminister - Unregistered

July 02, 2010 11:03 PM

They should spend some of that tourism money to pay some engineers help determine what would make it more safe for the spectators first then for the riders second. I saw a racers bike flip down the road at IOM and kill a two visitors and injure two elderly women that live on the isle.

I'm sure there are more safety precautions and advancement in technology to help the cause, than bails of hay.

But, hey, life is cheaper than safety equipment.

NutBallRacer

July 03, 2010 12:02 AM

Wayne simply misses the point. It ISN'T a world championship event. No, the riders there aren't world class in MotoGP classes. It is, for once and always, a different type of racing -- real, old-school, road-racing. I agree it should be allowed to exist. I disagree with people who have no stake any give activity trying to prevent those who do prefer the activity and have a stake in it from practicing it, whether it is bungee jumping, flying, hunting, shooting, or real road-racing. If we let people do that, they soon will see no sense in allowing any kind of fun or adventure. Everything will be deemed dangerous, and all will be banned. I say ban nothing, and let people live their lives freely

plonker

July 03, 2010 12:11 AM

Did anyone read his comments in context? Maybe he was responding in a thread anyone have a link to the site? Anyway if you want to race in the TT good for you but like the previous poster said all it takes is one wife or parent to sue them and it would-be all over. I wonder what their insurance costs are? I suspect the local government underwrites it.

« 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  »