RR » Luckless Hutchinson still targeting TT return

'Don't get me wrong this changes nothing for the TT, my team have three bikes ready to win it and I promised I would, I don't go back on that' - Ian Hutchinson on Twitter

SaintSully - Unregistered

February 03, 2012 2:55 PM

I am still baffled as to why he thought this 'event' was a good idea. Cant see it being sponsor pressure, and I'm sure Shaun Muir would of rather he spend the time doing pretty much anything other than a 'motorcycle stunt show'! But whats done is done, just really hope it doesn't wreck his year again. Road racing needs Ian Hutchinson.

McLarenP

February 03, 2012 3:40 PM

I think it would be irresponsible to expect to race in the TT this year with such injury. The consequences of any further damage to that leg are unthinkable - he's very lucky he still has it !!

Luckless - Unregistered

February 03, 2012 5:55 PM

What the article doesn't say is that to qualify for the "TT" he has to have signatures to prove he has raced at 6 events in the 12 months up the the cut of date. That date is the end of March!!!

He not only has to heal quick, but be able to race at another 5 road race events before the end of March!!!!

He wouldn't be the first big name to be turned away, this is for his own and everyone else's safety.

TAS MAN - Unregistered

February 03, 2012 9:30 PM

Fact is, It will not matter if he has another serious crash.You can't ride a bike with one leg.( I hope it never happens to him) I think Hutchy needs to step back and look at the bigger picture. Racing is in his blood and he is a legend! Maybe it's time for him to let it go and retire while he can!No one would blame him as he has nothing to prove. I would rather see him interviewing riders on the TV.

Tetley

February 03, 2012 10:43 PM

I read that the incident in practice for the stunt show wasn't a big accident, Hutchy didn't even fall off, he just twisted the leg... and broke two bones. It is therefore reasonable to deduce that following all the surgery and bone joins and grafts, that his bones in general are now significantly more brittle than they used to be. He should be considering himself very lucky that it happened at low speed in an arena, rather than in a few weeks time at high speed in BSB testing. The consequences don't bear thinking. Get well soon, Hutchy, but think VERY carefully before doing any more riding of any sort.

Steve - Unregistered

February 04, 2012 2:48 AM

The first time I heard him talk I thought he "batted for the other side" That was until I saw him ride a bike and saw his girlfriend :-)
Good luck Hutchy, hope you make the TT and get up on the rostrum again.

NotaDoc but can read - Unregistered

February 04, 2012 9:49 AM

The sites of where the bones breaks will be of equal strength after full recovery. At times of immobilisation the healing site may be stronger than the rest of the bone, at other times in healing weaker but I digress.
Why is Hutchy getting bad karma from you some of you guys and suggestions of retiring, it was a freak accident, something that could not be predicted.
It could have happened anywhere, and what of all the GP stars injured doing MX this winter.
As for retiring, imagine if Doohan retired with his leg injury, how many titles would he have not won?
Hutchy is a racer and until he is physically/financially (whateveer) unable to ride he will continue and good luck to the lad!!

1 2  »