RR » Farquhar: 'I'm finished with road racing'

“It's the people who are left behind who suffer the most. Trevor probably didn't know anything about the crash, but the people left behind are hit the hardest' - Ryan Farquhar

beatz - Unregistered

September 01, 2012 1:42 PM

While my thoughts are with the familly and its a terrible loss i can't help but think ryan is a strange character. Surely he has known the risks and dangers before now so why is it all of a sudden a huge issue for him? does this mean that all the other riders who have lost their lives in the past few years didn't really matter to him so much?

Im not trying to cause offence i just think its a slightly strange way to react given his huge ammount of experience.

Ive always found ryan to be a strange kind of character though.

RedEye - Unregistered

September 01, 2012 1:56 PM

If you read the article you'll see that he has decided to retire because of the devastating effect the death of a rider can have on the family, wife and kids etc. It was his uncle that was killed so he is closely involved.

As Ryan is a married man with kids i can understand why he would want to retire. He's at the end of his carer, a brilliant carer and he has nothing to prove.

reality - Unregistered

September 01, 2012 2:09 PM

What he is saying is that he is seeing first hand the effects on a family. When fellow riders have died before he probably didn't have close contact with their nearest and dearest to see the full effect.

Ed - Unregistered

September 01, 2012 3:44 PM

I actually respect Ryan massively for making this decision. Of course when a tragedy like this happens to his own family he is going to see it differently. Too many people have witnessed something like this and its played on their mind and they have carried on and maybe had their own serious accident.
To quit now whilst he can enjoy his family and hopdefully business as hes a great bike builder is no bad thing. And its not like he has anything left to prove.

My thoughts and best wishes are with him and his family

Dai the Bike - Unregistered

September 01, 2012 4:15 PM

I don't finds Ryan's comments strange at all, he has had a brilliant career and enjoyed his road racing for a long time. However he has now seen what the effect can be for a family following a sad incident such as this with biking if it is riding the roads or racing on a track or closed roads it is not about takings risks but taking calculated risks I have a daughter who has been disabled from birth so have scaled back on my own riding as I would not be any help to my wife if I were to end up in a wheelchair I have been riding for non stop for 45 years so although not stopping just scaling it back smaller bike lower speeds etc. RIP Trevor and condolences to the whole family.

Shaken - Unregistered

September 01, 2012 4:17 PM

Absolutely fair dues. I know some will disagree with me also when I say road racing ought to be banned. To say its getting too dangerous is an understatement. Todays bikes (particularly SuperBikes) are so fast that even enclosed tracks/ circuits can no longer hold them- yet alone completely exposed public roads.

As Ryan correctly points out, its the people left behind particularly the family after a racer is killed.

jjletho - Unregistered

September 01, 2012 4:42 PM

not that i'm against it, actually I admire the courage of people who do it

but road racing with motorbikes is probably the last "gladiator sport", reminds me of the roman empire or of medieval sword duels...

mistakes are paid with death

pcxmac - Unregistered

September 01, 2012 4:56 PM

motor racing has more to do with the 'circus' than gladiatorial games, that said, gotta respect, there is nothing safe about most road-racing, off properly trimmed circuits. As for 'the last' of the gladiator sports, not hardly, given the way the fans revel in destruction and seeing people crash their bikes, that end will never be met it seems.

jjletho - Unregistered

September 01, 2012 5:10 PM

I think motorbike RR is already forbidden in most of the world. For example I never heard of one of those races in southern europe...

countries where RR is held, according to Wikiborepedia: Ireland, Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Great Britain, the Czech Republic, New Zealand and Macau

bill - Unregistered

September 01, 2012 5:29 PM

I think all rOAD RACING SHOULD BE BANNED. If Counties/cities concerned want to attract people to their part of the world for a motorcycle event, then circuits should be used. They should be made as safe as humanly possible to race on. This should be paramount and without question. Health and Safety First at all times. I know three amazing young men who have lost their lives to racing. It truly destroys their families life

1 2 3 4 5 6 7  »