RR » Michael Dunlop critical of Supertwin class

'The only race that matters is a big bike win at the TT - that's how you're remembered' - Michael Dunlop

Sour Grapes - Unregistered

January 18, 2013 12:35 PM

Completely right, no one knows any supertwin riders. Ryan who?...

C'mon Michael, don't spit your dummy out just because you're too fat to ride the smaller twins.

This is why I prefer William.

Oli

January 18, 2013 1:05 PM

From Michael's point of view I can understand his attitude, because the guy has won TTs on 1000cc bikes and 600cc bikes.

But to the other mere mortals the Supertwins class offers a route into the TT they wouldn't have on a big bike. A good Supertwin will set you back 5 grand, how much is a BMW or Fireblade in Superbike spec? At least double.

I think road racing would have been better off going down the Minitwins route with a horsepower limit etc, rather than Supertwins, but it's still a reasonably cost effective class.

Oli

liebig - Unregistered

January 18, 2013 1:37 PM

Looking at several of the Irish "circuits" I can't see how the twins can not be a good thing. Same goes for 450 cc singles.
The sport is not really helped by having stronger machines year by year, upping the speeds on what are sometimes extremly narrow roads.
From Mickey D's point of view I can understand where he's coming from, also perhaps trying to stir the pot a bit.
I do think Ryans winning supertwins set him back a bit further than 5 grand. When I talked to him a couple of years ago I think the figure was atleast the double. But those bikes are winners, ofcourse.

Juno - Unregistered

January 18, 2013 1:49 PM

If you want to build a winning Supertwin (#77 Spec) you're talking 20k. They may be entry level in regards to them being easier to ride than a 600 / superbike etc but in my opinion they aren't an exciting class to watch (same goes for 450's). As for the TT I would class a win on them in a similar level to the TT Zero race.

Nick636

January 18, 2013 2:26 PM

I might be wrong here, but wasn't Guy Martin scalded on this site last year for saying something to that effect? (That none of the other races mattered??? And I think he referred to Michael Dunlop then and everyone was up in arms about it....?)

DTGM - Unregistered

January 18, 2013 3:14 PM

I think the real issue is that its another lesser class that will allow guys to rack up TT "wins". And guys with those wins, ie Ryan, will have greater "numbers" than Superbike only riders or SBK/600 riders for that matter.

Des big bag - Unregistered

January 18, 2013 3:20 PM

I remember Michael saying to buckmaster at last years sunflower that the ptr bike wasn't that fast as he had pulled out of Williams slip stream and couldn't pass him, buckmaster replied " well that's because your probably about 3 stone heavier"

Moral of the story = fat boys and twins don't blend

1 2 3 4  »