RR »

TT crash has ended 2010 season for Conor cummins

Conor Cummins has admitted his 2010 season is over after suffering serious injuries in a high speed crash during the finale of the Isle of Man TT, but he says he will return to racing as soon as possible.
The serious injuries suffered by Conor Cummins at the 2010 Isle of Man TT have ended his season, but the Manxman has vowed he will return to the track.

Cummins suffered a back injury, broken arm, dislocated knee and bruising to his lungs when his McAdoo Kawasaki Superbike crashed at the high speed Verandah section of the Mountain course during Friday's Senior TT.

He was reported to be conscious and talking at the scene and was airlifted to the island's Noble's Hospital for treatment. Cummins, from Ramsey in the Isle of Man, has remained in hospital since the crash.

Speaking from his hospital bed, 'Conrod' admitted his season – which included more road race appearances and his short circuit campaign in the British Superstock Championship - is over, but he will work hard to be back on the pace for 2011.

He said:

“I know that I have a lot of hard work ahead of me this winter, but I will be doing everything I can to be fully fit and competitive for the start of next season.”

He also paid tribute to the marshals and medics who looked after him at the scene and in hospital, as well as thanking well-wishers for their messages of support.

Cummins said:

“I don't know the names of the people who helped me but the marshals and medics were superb from the moment I had the accident. I'd also like to thank all of the staff in the Accident and Emergency Ward at Noble's Hospital who have been brilliant since I arrived.”

“I have been really heartened to receive lots of cards and goodwill messages. I've even received toys from children which is very kind.”

Cummins' crash came during the re-started Senior TT, which was being run over a reduced four laps. He had been dicing for the lead before the incident.




Related Pictures

Click on relevant pic to enlarge
Conor Cummins, on the McAdoo Kawasaki Superbike, starts the 2010 Isle of Man TT Senior race, which would see the Manxman sustain season-ending injuries in a high-speed crash
Gary Johnson to race GBmoto Kawasaki in 2015 (pic: GBmoto).
Glenn Irwin and Ben Wilson with NW200 Event Director Mervyn Whyte and Rider Liaison officer Steve Plater
Ben Wilson and Glenn Irwin at the North West 200 circuit with Event Director Mervyn Whyte and Steve Plater, Rider Liaison officer
Jamie Hamilton and B.E. Racing team owner John Burrows
Ivan Lintin has signed a two-year deal with RC Express Racing
John McGuinness will ride the ex-Steve Hislop Norton at the Classic TT in 2015
Ian Hutchinson at the Macau Grand Prix
Michael Rutter on the Milwaukee Yamaha at the Macau Grand Prix
Stuart Easton, Michael Rutter and Martin Jessopp on the rostrum at the Macau Grand Prix
Michael Rutter on the Milwaukee Yamaha at the Macau Grand Prix
Stuart Easton and Lee Johnston at the Macau Grand Prix
Stuart Easton on the PBM Kawasaki at the Macau Grand Prix
Stuart Easton on the PBM Kawasaki at the Macau Grand Prix
Stuart Easton, Michael Rutter and Ian Hutchinson at the Macau Grand Prix
Milwaukee Yamaha`s Michael Rutter at the Macau Grand Prix
Milwaukee Yamaha`s Michael Rutter at the Macau Grand Prix
Michael Rutter at the Macau Grand Prix

Join the conversation - Add your comment

Please login or register before adding your comments.

Although the administrators and moderators of this website will attempt to keep all objectionable comments off these pages, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the poster, and neither Crash Media Group nor Crash.Net will be held responsible for the content of any message. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. If you find a message objectionable, please contact us and inform us of the problem or use the [report] function next to the offending post. Any message that does not conform with the policy of this service can be edited or removed with immediate effect.


kwikkwak

June 15, 2010 12:38 PM

So glad to hear that Conor is relatively ok and will be on the mend.But have to say i am disappointed in Crash's coverage of his crash and subsequent condition.Had to search various sites to find out how he was.But nice to see that Crash have got their priorities right and report on the highly important issues such as a poll to see who we think will win this years MotoGP Cahmpionship......

Manxie - Unregistered

June 15, 2010 12:51 PM

I don't think you can hold crash at fault because the tt organisers and isle of man hospital have refused to issue any information until today - as you said, you had to search for information, that's because there was none available. Would it have been better for crash to speculate and get it wrong, just so you could drool over the salacious detail of inaccurate information?



© 1999 - 2014 Crash Media Group

The total or partial reproduction of text, photographs or illustrations is not permitted in any form.