Less than a month after a high speed crash at the Isle of Man TT, road racing star Guy Martin is set to return to competitive action on Tuesday.
The 29-year-old was involved in an horrific crash while battling for the lead of the Senior TT. He lost control of his Wilson Craig Honda Superbike while travelling at about 170mph through Ballagarey.
The bike burst into flames, bringing the race to a halt. Martin was treated at the scene before being airlifted to hospital, where it was discovered he had amazingly escaped with relatively minor injuries.
Reflecting on the crash earlier this week, the Lincolnshire rider admitted he had 'got off lightly' and he owed his life to his leathers and safety equipment.
In typical Guy Martin style, the popular racer started planning his return to racing as soon as he was discharged from hospital, and targeted the Isle of Man's Southern 100. He was determined to defend the championship title he won on the 4.25-mile circuit last year, despite it starting on July 12 – just a month after his crash and while he would still be nursing fractured bones in his back.
Many thought that was too ambitious as a target, but now Martin has confirmed he will make his return to competitive action on Tuesday – just 25 days after the TT crash.
He has entered the Hill Climb Challenge at Oliver's Mount in Scarborough's. In the first of three hill climbs being held as part of Scarborough Bike Week, Martin is scheduled to ride a Martech GSXR1100 Suzuki.
A statement from organisers Auto 66 Racing said:
“Guy said he was participating in the event to help regain his confidence after his incident at Ballagarey during the Senior TT in readiness for the road races he had entered prior to the TT as an integral part of his season of 'racing between the hedges'.”