The delayed opening to the 2010 Isle of Man TT delivered an edge of the seat thriller as racing finally got under way around the Mountain course.

After a delay of more than three hours, caused by sea mist rolling in from the coast, the opening race of the 2010 Isle of Man TT more than made up for the waiting fans had endured.

The six-lap PokerStars Superbike had been billed as one of the most mouth-watering showdowns seen at the TT in recent years, and it lived up to the anticipation.

Related Articles

John McGuinness, the 15-times winner and outright lap record holder, Suzuki by TAS Racing teammates Bruce Anstey and Cameron Donald, the luckless Guy Martin and Padgetts Honda rider Ian Hutchinson were expected to battle it out over the 37.73-mile circuit for honours.

But over the opening laps there was only one man to beat - Manxman Conor Cummins on the McAdoo Kawasaki.

Cummins seemingly had the race in the bag and after a stunning opening lap of 131.511mph, just a whisker outside the outright lap record, had a commanding 21 second lead at the end of the fourth lap. However, Cummins stalled during his second pit stop at the end of that lap and saw his leading over the chasing Hutchison slashed to just 4 seconds.

He got out of the pits, but just minutes later retired with mechanical problems at Laurel Bank, ending his hopes of a first TT win and breaking hearts all around his native Island.

Cummins joined McGuinness in retirement. The Morecambe racer had taken an early lead on lap one, just 0.8 of a second ahead of Cummins at Glen Helen, but retired the HM Plant Honda at Sulby.

The retirement of McGuinness left Cummins to forge ahead with his ferocious pace. The stunning opening lap of 131.511mph, from a standing start, gave him an 8 second lead over Hutchinson with Martin, Adrian Archibald, Dan Stewart and Ian Lougher close behind.

Australian Donald seemed to be out of the reckoning after overshooting at the Nook and lost a lot of time, rejoining the circuit in 13th at the end of the first lap.

On lap 2 Cummins continued to extend his advantage while Hutchinson, now the leader on the road, was edging clear of Martin in the battle for the remaining podium positions. Cummins' second lap was again in excess of 131mph with Hutchinson and Michael Dunlop also above 130mph, the Northern Irishman now up to fourth behind Martin.

Archibald was holding on to fifth with Lougher in sixth and Donald already having climbed back up to seventh. Meanwhile, Stewart had dropped to ninth and lost more time at the first pit stop, dropping outside of the top 10.

The new pit-lane speed limit had already claimed its first victim with Carl Rennie receiving a 30-second penalty, but with a 20-second lead, Cummins was controlling affairs from his signals with Hutchinson pulling further ahead of Martin, the latter circulating in close formation with Dunlop. Archibald was still well in contention in fifth with Donald fighting back and ahead of Keith Amor on the sole surviving HM Plant Honda in sixth.

Lougher was eighth with Ryan Farquhar and Anstey completing the top 10 at half distance.

After the disastrous pit stop at the end of lap four and subsequent retirement of Cummins, Hutchinson took the lead. Martin should have been in second, but he was hit with a 30 second penalty for exceeding the pit lane speed limit.

That dropped Martin back to fifth, with Hutchison holding a commanding 50 second advantage over Dunlop, Archibald and a determined Donald.

Hutchinson, who had been the fastest super bike rider in practice, was able to control the race to the flag, taking his fourth TT win and officially joining the 130mph club with his stunning race pace.

While the Bingley rider went on to win, the battle behind him was ferocious. Dunlop, Donald and Amor were having a short-circuit style dice on the roads, the battle allowing the Australian to overhaul Archibald for the final podium place. At the chequered flag, Dunlop secured a brilliant second place on the Robinson Concrete/Street Sweep Honda, less than 10 seconds clear of Donald.

Martin eventually took fourth, the time penalty costing him second place, with Archibald and Amor rounding out the top six, the last named the fastest man on the final lap at 129.608mph.

Lougher completed a strong ride in seventh place with Michael Rutter doing likewise on his Superstock-spec Bathams Honda in eighth. Stewart regrouped for ninth with Farquhar completing the top ten on his MSS Colchester Kawasaki, Anstey one place further back in 11th.

Racing is scheduled to continue on Monday with the Superstock and first Supersport races.