The Killilane Road Races in Skerries Co Dublin ended in sadness following the news that popular Ballymoney road racer Victor Gilmore had succumbed to injuries received earlier in the day.

Mr Gilmore was fatally injured when his 600cc machine crashed on the Killilane Road part of the circuit.

The race was red flagged following the accident as Victor Gilmore and a marshal, who was not seriously injured, were taken to hospital in Dublin. When news filtered through later in the afternoon confirming that Mr Gilmore had been fatally injured the remainder of the meeting was abandoned as a mark of respect, following another red flag incident in the 125 race.

Related Articles

In a statement issued after the accident the event organisers said:

"It is with great sadness that the Loughshinny Motorcycle Club confirms that Victor Gilmore from Ballymoney, father of Craig, Jodie and Nicole and son of Jim and Mabel, succumbed to injuries received following a racing incident during the 600cc event.

"Victor was taken to Beaumont Hospital, Dublin, where he passed away. He will be dearly missed by his family, team and the road racing family.

"The committee and members of the club extend their deepest sympathies to Victor's family and large circle of friends for their sad loss."

Victor was commonly known in the paddock as Happy Gilmore and his always present smile and infectious good humour made him a firm favourite with both his fellow riders and spectators. He was a practical joker and always had time for a chat in the paddock no matter how busy he was at the time.

He travelled on many occasions to road races in Europe where he was also a popular competitor and was probably one of Irelands best known road racers at circuits like Froburg and Terleko and the many messages of condolence from all over the continent were testament to his popularity, both home and abroad.

A father-of-three, Victor previously escaped serious injury following an accident at the inaugural Armoy races in August 2009. His machine left the road and struck 75-year-old fan Hill McCook snr. A local resident, Mr McCook later died from his injuries.

Mr Gilmore was expected to give evidence outlining his version of the accident at the inquest into Mr McCook's death on the day after his fatal accident.