» BACK TO CRASH.NET

Crash.Net RR News

TT2012: Tyco boss Neill denies Guy Martin split rumours

9 June 2012

Tyco Suzuki team manager Philip Neill has rubbished speculation Guy Martin will split from the leading British Superbike and road racing outfit following the Isle of Man TT races.

Rumours spread like wildfire on Thursday evening after tea-drinking mountain-bike enthusiast Martin was spotted at Ronaldsway Airport in Douglas, with conjecture suggesting he was on a plane home.

Martin, however – who is chasing his maiden TT victory in today's rescheduled PokerStars Senior race – was merely collecting his dad.

Persistent rumours have abounded since the North West 200 last month, when Martin missed most of the meeting following a crash in the opening Supersport race.

Many believe Martin will walk away from the team after Saturday's six-lap Senior finale on the Isle of Man, but Neill categorically denied there was a rift, saying Martin will ride for the team at the Southern 100, the Ulster Grand Prix and the Gold Cup meeting at Scarborough later this season.

He also stated that the road racing superstar could make an appearance at an Irish National event prior to the Ulster GP in August.

“I can honestly say there hasn't been a single cross word between us,” Neill told the Belfast News Letter.

“I heard the rumours, which spread like wildfire on Thursday – but that's all they are and any talk of Guy leaving the team is absolute rubbish.

“Not only is Guy high-profile, he's a tad controversial too so I can understand why these type of rumours occur.

“But there's no hassle and although it's not been the TT of our dreams, I feel that with a bit of luck on our side Guy will definitely be challenging for a podium in the Senior,” he added.

“He would have been arguably second or third in the Superbike race last Saturday but we had a small problem with the rear axle and couldn't change the tyre.”

Neill said Martin would compete in 'at least four' more events in the Tyco Suzuki colours before the season is out.

“I've heard that Guy will leave the team after the TT or that we will sack him, but neither is true – not even remotely true,” he said.

“Guy will be doing the Southern 100 and we might even do another Irish National race before the Ulster and we'll do Scarborough at the end of the season.

“He'll do at least another four races for us this season. We're both very happy at the moment and that is the honest truth.”


» BACK TO CRASH.NET