The Technical Director appointed by ACU Events Ltd at the Isle of Man TT has apologised to Ian Hutchinson for any confusion caused in the aftermath of his victory in the second Monster Energy Supersport race.

A question was raised concerning the size of the pistons used in Hutchinson's Team Traction Control Yamaha R6, although the parts were later confirmed as eligible.

A statement issued by the organisers on Monday evening on behalf of Technical Director Adrian Gorst said: "I made an initial comment in the heat of the moment during post-race inspection but on closer examination and after reviewing the TT regulations, it became clear that the piston was eligible and complied with the Technical Regulations for the Supersport Class.

"At no point were any of the machines formally declared illegal and no formal protest was received from any of the other competing teams or riders. I would like to apologise to anyone affected by my comment."

Hutchinson had taken to social media to demand an apology after an initial statement issued on Saturday afternoon confirmed that no issues had been found with any of the top-three machines in the race.

He wrote on Twitter: "I won't be happy until the scrutineer involved apologises for his incompetence in creating this suspicion!"

Following Monday's latest statement, the Yorkshire rider said on Twitter: 'Finally and I apologise to Micheal Dunlop as Adrian Gorst requested a piston stating a protest was made by them!

'Haters will still hate but now I can reflect on been [sic] joint 3rd most successful solo rider in history at the TT with the great Mike Hailwood'.

Comments

Join the conversation - Add your comment

Please login or register to add your comment

@Tetley The issue of MD's bike is already well known and the company that supplied him the engine (not one of his own builds) issued a formal apology for the balls up. (it was legal when it was built 2 years ago and the regs changed) no apology needed from MD.