Loic Duval says he is now fully-recovered from the after-effects of his huge shunt during practice for the Le Mans 24 Hours, which ruled him out of the endurance classic.
The Frenchman suffered a horrifying crash on the first day of free practice at the Porsche Curves, the high-speed impact destroying his Audi R18 e-tron and leading many to fear for his safety.
Remarkably, Duval suffered just a few grazes and though it was enough for him to sit out the remainder of the event, the injuries sustained were considered minor given the ferocity of the crash.
With a long break between Le Mans and the next round of the FIA World Endurance Championship at the Circuit of the Americas next month, Duval - who returned to the LMP1 cockpit during a test in Italy – says he cannot wait to get back to competitive action.
“I'm doing really well,” he said. “I've regularly had my progress checked at a hospital in Lausanne since June. In addition, your racing license is withdrawn following such a serious crash, but I've had it reinstated since then.
“The doctors, Audi and I agreed that I should take it easy. Therefore, my first race was the fourth round of the Super Formula at Motegi on August 24. A month before the WEC race at Austin, this run and the fourth place finish was a very good opportunity to prepare for my return to the R18 e-tron quattro.
“Four weeks ago, I began to extensively do sports again. So, by the time of the event at Austin, I will have been training for two full months. I'm already feeling completely fit again, physically and mentally.”