For its second doubleheader weekend of 2010 Formula Kart Stars returned to the site of its 2009 season finale, the challenging Whilton Mill circuit conveniently placed near Daventry on the outskirts of Great Britain's motorsports hub of Northamptonshire.

With the mid May date providing enough sunshine and relative warmth to allow team personnel and spectators to shed their winter jackets the Formula One Management backed championship actually enjoyed a totally rain free weekend for the first time in a long while.

Joining the series for the first time in the Mini Max class was Russian driver Nikita Sidorov, who joined American based Cadet regular Santino Ferrucci in the FKS ranks. But while Ferrucci ran strongly all weekend and narrowly missed out on a podium finish on Sunday, Sidorov could only muster a pair of 17th place finishes from the two finals.

Related Articles

Arriving at Whilton Mill second in the Tag Heuer MSA British Cadet standings, Tom Harvey would leave the 1120-metre venue atop the table after a brace of wins. Both were achieved in typical Cadet fashion in two spectacular races with Welshman Harvey coming from 17th on the grid to win Saturday's final from his Fusion teammate Darius Karbaley and Trevyn Jay Nelson and out-duelling Philip Rawson and Lando Norris on Sunday.

Nathan Aston, who led the championship coming into the weekend, could only finish 15th on Saturday but salvaged a top five finish on Sunday to stay within striking distance of the new championship leader.

Moving into third place in the standings after a weekend that almost delivered a first FKS win was Eclipse Motorsports Connor Jupp, who sat on the pole for Saturday's final and led the first half of that race until being shuffled back to eighth and finally 17th after a final lap altercation with Ferrucci. Sunday's final also offered the possibility of a hefty points haul for Jupp after two strong heats but only resulted in a 15th place finish.

Still, with so many strong runners amongst the 50 entrants busy taking points off each other at every opportunity, Jupp managed to escape Whilton third overall.

One week after taking victory in the Super One event at the same venue George Russell was able to open his Formula Kart Stars account in Mini Max with not one but two overall wins.

Saturday's came courtesy of a late race pass on Jay Goodwin although a slowing down lap incident with the same driver following the first heat on Sunday almost cost Russell his shot at the double with his Strawberry Racing team having to successfully appeal a stewards decision to exclude him. With the appeal successful Russell was able to take his place on the second row of the grid for the final and when weekend revelation Josh White and Saturday's third place finisher Oliver Myers made contact Russell was able to slip into a lead he would never relinquish.

Vital Motorsport's Bobby Thompson and Wavertree's Adam Glear completed the Sunday podium but not even third place could keep Glear in the championship lead as Russell edged ahead by a mere five points. Despite losing his one hundred per cent podium record with a fifth place finish on Sunday, Global Karting entrant Myers held on to third overall with opening round winner slipping to fifth behind Thompson after a heat exclusion on Saturday and a mechanical retirement in heat two on Sunday cost him valuable ground.

The Joe Bloggs backed Junior Rotax class saw another double winner in the form of Ash Hand, who remained undefeated in 2010. At his home track Hand was imperious aboard his P1 Racing machine, setting fastest time in both qualifying sessions, winning all four heats and both finals with consummate ease.

After a heat disqualification at Rowrah saw his arrive at Whilton Mill with an unrepresentative slender points lead Hand was able to leave the track on Sunday and travel the relatively short distance back to his home in Nuneaton with a handsome advantage over Jack Barlow.

After a shaky start to his FKS Junior Rotax career at Rowrah Barlow looked far more confident at Whilton Mill where he established himself as Hand's closest threat, even if closest was a relative term on this particular weekend.

Barlow spent most of the weekend dicing for second place with Hand's teammate Fraser O'Brien but on the sole occasion that O'Brien managed to stay ahead of the reigning FKS Mini Max champion, Sunday's final, a wrong engine number on his scrutineering card led to his disqualification.

With the top three in the pecking order remaining pretty stable all weekend some of the best action occurred further down the field. Jack Taylor finished fourth behind the Hand/Barlow/O'Brien combo on Saturday while O'Brien's Sunday DQ allowed Callum Pointon to sneak onto the podium after a great late dice with Josh Parker and Declan Jones. Despite failing to finish in the top three in either final Parker left Whilton third in the points.

The cycle of weekend double winners was broken in KF3 where Ben Barnicoat and Matthew Graham shared the honours. In the class with the smallest field (only 12 entries again), KF3 has now seen four winners from four finals as Rowrah winners Jacob Stilp and Xavier Warburton found themselves locked out of victory lane.

Barnicoat showed the kind of form that was expected of him at Rowrah with a ruthless display on Saturday despite Graham's best efforts. Barnicoat won the final by two seconds from Warburton and Graham but it was his performance in the heats that really stood out as he resolutely held off Graham on each occasion despite the fact that he only really held an advantage over his pursuer through the short third sector of the lap.

Graham got his revenge on Sunday, hunting down and passing Warburton for the lead after a spin put Barnicoat out of contention. In the fastest and most physical class in FKS, first year KF3 driver Graham showed no signs of fatigue on what is perhaps the toughest and most abrasive track on the calendar this year.

A pair of second place finishes was enough to vault Warburton into the championship lead after Stilp (seventh and fifth) struggled for pace all weekend. Graham's breakout performance was enough to push him into second place ahead of Stilp with Barnicoat just a handful of points behind in fourth.

Sam Macleod, who celebrated his most accomplished FKS weekend to date with a third place finish on Sunday, moved into sixth place overall behind the consistent Charlie Robertson.