V8 » Car of the Future blueprint revealed

Details of the V8 Supercar Championship's Car of the Future are announced in Melbourne

rusjel - Unregistered

March 29, 2010 10:20 PM

So possibly this means we will have Toyota Aurions and Mazda 6s for example, which are manufactered as 6 and 4 cylinder front wheel drives, reconfigured as RWD V8s. V8 Supercar is becoming more like Nascar every day.

Gotta move with the time I suppose but its a bit sad we are so far from the proddy cars roots

Michael - Unregistered

March 30, 2010 1:09 AM

When Craig Lowndes left Holden in 2001 both camps gave a hugely passionate response. In 2010 when Lowndes and 888 signed with Holden nobody cared.

VESA has successfully marketed on a rich Ford/Holden heritage and consequently sucked it dry. Fords wavering commitment to the sport made this decision easy, V8s now must start a complete image overhaul!

Toyota won't enter. They were knocked back a few years ago when they actually wanted in. Now the tables are turned, I think 'Hybrid technology' is more marketable for them than a Bathurst victory.

Hyundai - Wouldn't surprise me
Infinity - I think this is a certainty

In 1992 Japanese cars weren't welcome at Bathurst, will 2012 different?

Just Observing - Unregistered

March 30, 2010 6:45 AM

When I was reading the part about the engine parity still being formulated I started thinking Hyundai or similar should get into partnership with someone like Judd or AER... both have v8's that would be close to the size necessary and would bring some REAL modern technology to V8Supercar

Just Observing - Unregistered

March 30, 2010 7:14 AM

as for a few points made in the previous posts...

rusjel - Ever heard of the Australian Production Car Championship?? All the production cars you can poke a stick at... if you want to support production car racing, that's where its at... don't keep beating the tired drum about V8Supercars not being production cars!

Michael- in 1992 most Group A marques were European... Nissan was really the only truly Japanese manufacturer taking it seriously.. so to single out Japan as being unwelcome is really just trying to stir things up

Michael - Unregistered

March 30, 2010 8:47 AM

@Just Observing, i wasn't looking to be a stirrer. But the collective Australian Motorsport memory only remembers how Nissan received a bogan backlash, something that other contemporary successful Group A manufacturers didn't receive eg BMW, Volvo.

I'm just wondering whether the core fanbase has been watered down enough to allow for these new manufacturers to be welcomed and if that's the case, whats the chances or real diversity in regulations with rather than silhouette specs.

VESA marketed at the loyal Ford/Holden supporter, now they are desperately seeking the involvement of other manufacturers. So changing their marketing strategy completely. Should be interesting how they do it

rusjel - Unregistered

March 30, 2010 10:30 PM

Just observing, you make some good points, but you kinda missed mine.

The 'main' touring car formula in Oz hasn't been production cars since 1973 and I have no problem with that. V8 Supercar has moved from a production based formula in 1993 to what is is now, a virtual NASCAR, with identical brakes gearboxes, suspension components with brand bodywork over the top. Too far away in my view, from its roots. You may disagree and I welcome your arguments, but that's what I'm saying

I'd welcome other manufacterers by the way, the series is getting a little stale, but just whacking an Aurion body (or whatever) over a cookie cutter rolling chassis doens't do it for me.

Just Observing - Unregistered

March 31, 2010 6:18 AM

rusjel - I didn't think I missed your point but perhaps I did.

I tried making my point more clear but I simply cannot express myself clearly enough in 650 characters.

The only point I will question is where you get the idea that V8Supercars was initially a production based formula? There was certainly closer ties in the earlier cars (eg strut suspension in the commodores vs wishbones in the falcon) but given the extensive modifications allowed from the outset (DJR even tried using the motor as a stressed part of the car like open-wheelers) I would say V8Supercars was further from a production car than Group C was. At least Group C made them use production brakes, gearboxes etc.

douggren50 - Unregistered

April 11, 2010 8:29 PM

I cannot see the Japanese car manufacturers entering V8 Supercars as they are withdrawing from motorsport due to lack of money. DTM went through a torrid time & reinvented itself but still their are only German cars seriously involved. DTM has succeeded because it attracts top quality drivers & teams, in V* Supercars not only are the cars old fashioned but the drivers are no where near top notch.