The Toll Holden Racing Team claimed the 2009 V8 Supercars teams' championship after a second action-packed and demanding 250km race around the streets of Sydney's Olympic Park.

Will Davison toughed it out to finish a gruelling 74 laps in eighth place and, despite team-mate Garth Tander retiring on lap 29 after sustaining front end damage to the #2 Toll HRT Commodore, it was enough to clinch the outfit's first teams championship since its inception in 2005, and the third for the Walkinshaw Racing stable.

The day started out with promise after Tander qualified seventh in the morning's 20-minute qualifying session and Davison improved after Saturday's disappointing session to secure grid position 13. Tander then made progress over the opening laps to move into the top five, having completed one of his pit-stops for fuel and tyres. But it all came unstuck for him on lap 29 when a bump with Michael Caruso left the first Sydney 500 race winner down the escape road with damage to the suspension and steering of the #2 car.

Tander was sidelined from the race and was left watching on from pit-lane and, at that stage, it looked like rival Team Vodafone was set to also secure the teams' title, having already claimed the drivers' title with Jamie Whincup on Saturday. The new champion, however, collided with the wall and team-mate Craig Lowndes also brushed the concrete, leaving Davison to push on to finish the race in order to secure the teams' crown.

Davison's race was tough as he battled mid-pack and pushed hard over every lap for the first half of the duel. He made it as high as fourth, but scraped the wall on a number of occasions over the last half of the race, which put him back down the order. He muscled through the closing laps to finish eighth after a series of competitors fell victim to the concrete lined circuit and, while it wasn't exactly the way he and Tander had expected to finish the season, it was enough to secure the title.

"We came to Sydney saying we wanted to win a couple races and the teams' championship," Tander reflected, "Well, we won one, the first Homebush street race, and also the teams' title so, overall, it has not been a bad weekend.

"For me personally, today was a disappointing end to our weekend. It would have been nice to have been in amongst the action in race two, but someone else had better ideas. After all that, however, we achieved what we wanted to do by coming away with the teams' championship."