Jamie Whincup won a fourth successive points-paying V8 Supercar race to complete a double in front of 123,000 fans at the Hamilton 400.

'Mr Untouchable' also completed a remarkable turnaround after crashing out of qualifying in last year's event, and extended his championship haul to a perfect 600, with a lead of 102 over Garry Rogers Motorsport's Lee Holdsworth 498.

"Today was all about race pace and we had a fast car," the reigning champion commented, "We picked our time for the pit-stop, got out really fast and the car was on rails for the whole race. Considering that, last year, I didn't even start both races, this weekend was pretty amazing."

Related Articles

Whincup might have done it for the fourth straight race, but the emergence of Jim Beam Racing pair James Courtney and Steven Johnson in second and third showed that he may at least be reachable as the series goes on.

While still quite a way back, Courtney believes his team is getting closer to Whincup, with the double podium finish coming on the back of putting both cars on the front row of the grid after Armor All qualifying on Sunday morning.

"He had an awesome car all weekend, and it shows that 888 know what they are doing," Courtney said, "but our guys are doing a fantastic job. We've only had these cars for two rounds now and are trying to work out what makes them go fast. These guys have the advantage of building and designing the cars [that we use]."

Johnson added that it was the detail and fuel economy that appeared to be the difference between Whincup and the rest of the field.

"We've got to work just a little bit harder on our fuel economy, whereas Jamie's car was fast but also had good fuel economy," he noted, "So if that's what beat us at the end of the day, then we are not that far away. Last year, and the year before that, we had a pretty hard run. This year, it's coming together, although I'm still quite disappointed about qualifying in Adelaide, but you can't dwell on that.

"I wouldn't say this weekend exceeded my expectations. I was pretty disappointed with my lap in the Shoot-out when I missed a gear onto the straight. Apart from that small mistake, I'm pretty happy with the weekend, our strategy and what we wanted to do. We will only move forward from here."

Sunday's victory was won with a brilliant pit strategy after Whincup was only fourth fastest in the added 20-minute qualifying session, having been pipped for potential pole when the session was red-flagged within sight of a super-quick lap.

In the race, TeamVodafone chose to Whincup him in after only 20 of the 59 laps, and his superior speed once he got clear air saw him nearly seven seconds in front once previous leaders Courtney, Johnson, Holdsworth and Steven Richards pitted between laps 25 and 31.

Behind the Jim Beam pair, Holdsworth and Wilson Security's Fabian Coulthard rounded out the top five, while Michael Caruso gave Garry Rogers Motorsport two cars in the top six. Will Davison finished seventh for Toll HRT, cementing third in the overall standings as a result, while Greg Murphy, Garth Tander and Alex Davison rounded out the top ten.

Earlier a thrilling Sunday Armor All qualifying was intense. The 20-minute session provided plenty of action - as well as Johnson's second career pole as he headed an all-Jim Beam Racing front row.

The theatre of the session climaxed when, with just over two minutes left, Supercheap Auto's Tim Slade crashed, leaving the teams yet to post a fast lap waiting for the session to recommence. It didn't happen and set up an even better final race of the weekend.

Whincup was about to set an time, but the red flag came out moments before he crossed the line on his flying lap, leaving him to rely on an earlier lap that placed him fourth on the grid.