SSTK: 2013 rider line-up announced
19 March 2013
Despite rumblings that the current Superstock-class could be phased out at the end of 2013, the 1000cc series will continue with a healthy-looking grid this season after 27 riders were confirmed on the full-time entry list.
Kicking off with its first round at Motorland Aragon on April 14th, the line-up for the 2013 FIM Superstock 1000 Cup is notable for its familiar faces, with four of last year's top five riders returning to action. These include reigning champion Sylvain Barrier, who will look to become the first rider to successfully defend a SSTK crown since James Ellison in 2001.
Riding for the same BMW Motorrad GoldBet team, the Frenchman will be joined by promising South African newcomer Greg Gildenhuys, who gets a full season with the factory-backed outfit after an impressive one-off outing at the season-ending Magny-Cours event.
After just missing out on winning the title in the debut year of competition for the Ducati 1199 Panigale, Eddi La Marra will initiate a renewed attack on the series with Barni Racing in 2013, though he will likely face strong competition from new team-mate Niccolo Canepa, who returns to the Superstock ranks after a season of Superbike competition.
Kawasaki, meanwhile, will be well-represented in 2013 with as many as 13 of the 27 riders competing aboard a ZX-10R. Five of these come from the Pedercini team alone with Lorenzo Savadori, Leandro Mercado, Federico Dittadi, Simone Grotzkyj and Alessandro Andreozzi all listed to compete.
In addition, Jeremy Guarnoni, who finished as the top Kawasaki rider in third overall last season, stays on at MRS Kawasaki, where he is joined by Supersport-convert Romain Lanusse and Luxembourg's Christophe Ponsson.
Elsewhere, despite a slender Honda contingent, Ten Kate Junior is persevering with the CBR100RR and entrusting its bid to South Africa's David McFadden, while other anticipated front runners include Christoffer Bergman on the BWG Kawasaki, Ondrej Jezek on the SK Energy Ducati and Marco Bussolotti on a Trasimeno BMW.
In all, six manufacturers will be represented in 2013 (13 Kawasaki, 5 Ducati, 5 BMW, 2 Honda, 1 Aprilia, 1 Suzuki), though the season will now be contested over nine rounds after it was confirmed the recent addition of Turkey to the schedule wouldn't include a Superstock-support slot.
2013 FIM Superstock 1000 Cup entry list
3. Sebastien Suchet SUI BSR Honda CBR1000RR
5. Marco Bussolotti ITA Rider Promotion by Trasimeno BMW S1000RR
9. Ondrej Jezek CZE SK-ENERGY Racing Ducati 1199 Panigale
11. Jeremy Guranoni FRA MRS Kawasaki ZX-10R
12. Jonathan Crea SUI Team OGP Kawasaki ZX-10R
15. Simone Grotzkyj Giorgi ITA Pedercini Racing Kawasaki ZX-10R
19. Mitchell Pirotta AUS Go Eleven Kawasaki ZX-10R
20. Sylvain Barrier FRA BMW Motorrad GoldBet BMW S1000RR
21. Alessandro Andreozzi ITA Pedercini Team Kawasaki ZX-10R
23. Christophe Ponsson LUX MRS Kawasaki ZX-10R
28. Marc Moser GER Triple M Ducati 1199 Panigale
32. Lorenzo Savadori ITA Team Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R
34. Greg Gildenhuys RSA BMW Motorrad GoldBet BMW S1000RR
36. Leandro Mercado ARG Team Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R
39. Randy Pagaud FRA Team OGP Kawasaki ZX-10R
40. Alen Gyorfi HUN H-Moto Team BMW S1000RR
45. Federico Dittadi ITA Pedercini Team Kawasaki ZX-10R
47. Eddi La Marra ITA Barni Racing Team Ducati 1199 Panigale
55. Tomas Svitok SVK SK-ENERGY Ducati 1199 Panigale
59. Niccolo Canepa ITA Barni Racing Team Ducati 1199 Panigale
69. David McFadden RSA EAB Ten Kate Junior Honda CBR1000RR
71. Christoffer Bergman SWE BWG Racing Kawasaki ZX-10R
88. Massimo Parziani ITAS PML Racing Aprilia RSV4
90. Lucas Ockelfelt SWEEdgeZone Racing Suzuki GSX-R1000
91. Eeki Kuparinen FIN Motomarket Racing BMW S1000RR
93. Alberto Butti ITA Go Eleven Kawasaki ZX-10R
98. Romain Lanusse FRA Team MRS Kawasaki ZX-10R