WRC » Hirvonen to debut new Fiesta S2000 on Monte

Mikko Hirvonen will take in the Rallye Monte Carlo in January debuting the all-new Ford Fiesta S2000 rally car.

Chris - Unregistered

December 04, 2009 11:10 AM

Good to see Ford back on the Monte.

But why don't they let Matt give the car it's competitive debute - after all he's done the bulk of the testing and '00' in Soctland - ah that's right he's rubbish.

Hannu - Unregistered

December 04, 2009 1:04 PM

Matt's not rubbish but Mikko is outstanding very close to Loeb and getting closer and Fords No 1 so fair play to him for wanting to give the car its first run

Dafydd Larcombe - Unregistered

December 04, 2009 1:31 PM

I like that Mikko and Seb are doing Events outside of their WRC comitments. I have always liked that about Rallying, its a buzz that you cant help or deny.

I am very happy that Mikko has put his hand up for Monte, Its actually sad that its no longer in the WRC. Well, at least Mikko is doing the event in a Fiesta. I suppose Ford get to see how good the car actually is at the earliest opportunity.

I think if the car remains reliable mikko should be able to take a fairly comfortable win. He was very fast in Spain, he didnt look any slower than Seb on the stages I saw him on, but then were only talking about half a second a mile difference, sometimes less.

Dafydd Larcombe - Unregistered

December 04, 2009 4:52 PM

Its Hard to say for sure Chris

I think if his pace so far is any guide then yes, he has only done a few Rallies and he is already very fast.

It takes a long time to learn how to drive to and how to make Pace Notes. He seems to be coping well already.

I think we will see a few suprises this year from him. Maybe a few top 5 Results on Tarmac and a Top 6 in Finland by then. He will want a good Result there.

I think overall if he was in the WRC to stay this year would be a crash course and then he could possibly win the Teams Cup in 2011 if he stayed.

I personally cant see him going back to F1 so maybe he will want to fight for wins in Rallying. What good news though this is

ipg66

December 04, 2009 9:57 PM

I don't doubt that Mikko will be quicker than any of the regular IRC participants providing the machinery is up to the job. On this point it'll be interesting to see whether the Fiesta is as quick as the established IRC manufacturers straight "out of the box". Seem to recall that Skoda were pretty much on the pace from the outset.

Mmmm, I might need to check the price of an Easyjet flight. Seems rude not to witness the fun first hand especially if the IRC entry has a decent no. of runners...

GoFstr - Unregistered

December 04, 2009 10:41 PM

I assume that the Fiesta is the 2 liter NA rather than the 1600 Turbo, so they are going to have to build another new engine this year??....stupid FIA.