WRC » Bulgaria frustration

BP Ford Abu Dhabi World Rally Team's Jari-Matti Latvala looks back on Rally Bulgaria, the seventh round in the 2010 World Rally Championship, in his latest exclusive column for Crash.net.

Dafydd Larcombe - Unregistered

July 13, 2010 5:16 PM

I really do hope that Ford can get a 1.2 in Finland

Sadly I wont be there this year due to Business commitments but I think it will be Awesome

I also hope that Kimi can do weel there, he seemed to go well there last year until his roll

I think the team would get a lift after struggling with the engine in Bulgaria

Chris - Unregistered

July 13, 2010 6:03 PM

Good to see you back on the wires Dafydd, I thought you'd been a bit quiet after Bulgaria.

Quick question: after PG Tipps (on his first tarmac event in two years and first event in the Stobbart team) was 4 minutes quicker than Wilson, and Frigyes Turan in a 307(!) 2 and half minutes quicker than Wilson, are you still a 100% fully paid up member of the 'Matt I couldn't be any slower if I pushed the car round' fan club?

unwiped bottom - Unregistered

July 14, 2010 3:26 AM

Matt WilSoNotGonnaWinARallyInHisLife has a fan club??????? :? :? :? :?

As for Ford, I have a feeling they will win in Finland. But this time I am hoping it will be in the hands of JML and not Hirvonen.

Dafydd Larcombe - Unregistered

July 14, 2010 10:56 AM

For Chris:

I have never been a Fan persay of Matt Wilson, its just that I dont see any point in dragging up his performances

He will always have a drive so long as his dad owns M-Sport and thats just how it is.

Its Hard for me as I had to retire from Rallying in 2001 when foot and mouth hit and I lost my contract.

I worked hard to get to the point where my Rallying was finally being paid for but I got there with determination.

I didnt have anyone bank rolling my Rallying, I just worked hard at getting sponsors and letting my driving do the talking

So yes its difficult to accept that I didnt get the big opportunities and i see drivers getting dream WRC drives

Oh well...

Dafydd Larcombe - Unregistered

July 14, 2010 11:06 AM

Its not really Matts Fault.

He obviously enjoys driving in the WRC as anyone would

His Dad obviously wants him to continue as a WRC driver

Matt is never going to say give my seat to someone else coz his Dad wouldnt pay for someone else out of his own pocket

I prefer to just not think about it but yes as any driver would look at the situation and wish he had the chance to be driving his socks off in a WRC car in a single rally much less a full championship.

It was very dissapointing to see Matt so far behind in Bulgaria.

I think PG did Superb to be almost matching the times of the BP drivers on Saturday with a car that does not have the latest parts as the BP cars have

Taz - Unregistered

July 14, 2010 11:57 AM

@Dafydd

What cars did you run ?

My brothers mate runs a Imperza WRC in the scottish championship and a friend of the family Calum Mckenzie did some pretty amazing perfomances in the last few years in his Mk2 escort in the scottish championship, beating 4WD machinery a lot of the time.

runnah - Unregistered

July 14, 2010 12:23 PM

People would let off Wilson if the PR machine would stop hyping him.

JML is the future of Ford. Mikko has crumbled this year. Hard to say if it is the pressure or the car. You need someone like JML to be the #1 driver out there going for wins because he has the raw speed. Mikko is a much better #2 driver because he finishes rallies in the points most of the time.

Chris - Unregistered

July 14, 2010 1:11 PM

Dafydd, I think my problem is that the money is there and if Malcolm was serious about MSport and Ford he would employ someone anyone who could do the job. Ford are in it to sell cars and at the minute he doing the image of Ford and the Focus no good at all. MSport seem to be lacking on many fronts.

Runnah is also correct in that Matt would have less detractors if the PR was kept in check. The 5 Year Plan route has created a rod for their own backs.

Chris - Unregistered

July 14, 2010 1:15 PM

Dafydd, I also think you would have done a much better job had MSport ever come calling. Having to work hard to get sponsors and keep them, the desire to succeed much be so more than if it's been handed to you on a plate. Query Matt's motivation and that last few percent you need to succeed if he's never had to work for it.

1 2 3 4  »