WRC » Ogier wins first time out on Rally Japan

Sebastien Ogier takes his second win of the season in Japan, finishing 15.7 seconds up on Petter Solberg; Jari-Matti Latvala secures third followed by Dani Sordo and Sebastien Loeb.

Filter Comments: All | Registered

Twin Cam Sam - Unregistered

September 12, 2010 9:34 AM

Fairplay to Ogier, a good result, but great shame for Petter. Would have been great to see him take the first win for a privateer for 16 years.

Shame for him to be slowed by a mechanical problem on the final day. He's still got the chance to overhaul Latvala to finish 3rd in the drivers championship which would be an incredible achievement.

So, when is Mr Wilson going to wake up and get over the fact that Petter walked away from his 5 year deal with Ford a few years ago. He's tried and failed to sign Ogier, he's looking at trying to sign Sordo who is'nt in the same league as Solberg, or nearly as big a star. I don't understand his lack of plain logic ?

I was reading this week that Citroen's Norwegian importer has seen sales increase by 67% since Solberg switched to Citroen. I cannot for the life of me understand why Malcolm Wilson doesn't swallow his pride and get Petter signed up. Ford Motor Company should overule him, and take the decision out of his hands.

Chris - Unregistered

September 12, 2010 9:52 AM

Sets it up beautifully for a victorious Citroen/Loeb homecoming in France.

Superb drive from Ogier. Belies the line oft tripped out from Cumbria that experience is key.

Barely believable that the Focus will be retired from WRC action without a Drivers' title. With all the great drivers Malcolm has had - McRae, Sainz, Martin, Gronholm surely Ford are looking at MSport's management and the utter lack of trophies occupying Dovenby Hall. Malcolm's approach highlighted his useless son's continued occupation of a top seat. 65 rallies no podiums, 3mins 16 secs down before he went off. Speed not experience is key Malcolm. Should not be forgotten this was Ogier's first Rally Japan, Ogier seems to manage without 'gaining experience of technically difficult rallies'. Malcolm you're a joke.

unwiped bottom - Unregistered

September 12, 2010 11:00 AM

Well said, Chris and Twin Cam Sam. I don't know who is a bigger joke, Malcolm or Matthew.

As for Ogier, brilliant drive by him. I am very happy he won. Also happy I got my prediction right lol.

Out with a whimper - Unregistered

September 12, 2010 11:55 AM

Totally agree Chris. A real shame that there's no title for the Focus. If McRae hadn't rolled, if Gronholm hadn't spun and if Latvala didn't blow the SSS in Poland it probably would've been 3 so I suppose in that sense it's only bad luck that deprived MSport and Ford but overall I agree and now the driver they tried to sign just beat them on his Japan debut.

Still believe Latvala and Hirvonen have the speed for anyone (even Loeb at say 95%) but the Fiesta needs to be good!

And unless Malcolm's drive is solely a money thing then really, what is the point? It's not doing anyone any good, let alone him to be this slow all the time

Twin Cam Sam - Unregistered

September 12, 2010 12:31 PM

@ Out with a wimper (good name !)

You've hit the nail on the head really.

From what I've heard, Malcolm is very money orientated. He doesn't seem as interested in a talent as he is in drivers bringing money, even Hirvonen and Latvala had to bring money initially, and possibly still do for all we know.

Think also Duval: Al- Quassimi, H Solberg, etc.

Your never going to win a drivers championship with pay drivers.

Twin Cam Sam - Unregistered

September 12, 2010 12:31 PM

@ Out with a wimper (good name !)

You've hit the nail on the head really.

Think also Duval, Al- Quassimi, H Solberg, etc.

Your never going to win a drivers championship with pay drivers.

Fitz - Unregistered

September 12, 2010 4:24 PM

Citroen sales 67% up in Norway.-I'm not surprised. I've a 206 hdi and my answer to comments about French cars is that the 206 wiped the floor when it came out at the turn of the decade.
I've even been looking at C4s and the new DS3s in showroom. That's the power what wins rallies has over the buying public.

It's a pity citroen didn't release a road going 4wd turbo car as I suspect it would wipe the floor with everything.

Out with a whimper - Unregistered

September 13, 2010 9:52 AM

@ Fitz. Good to see you so easily swayed. Save your money for the hot Fiesta coming out though

Seriously though, on the road is one area where Citroen haven't done Ford. Even I'll admit the DS3 is looking good though