WRC » ESPN to show WRC in UK

ESPN takes over from Dave after inking a deal to show the WRC in the UK.

Filter Comments: All | Registered

Sidney - Unregistered

January 13, 2011 7:32 PM

Why are we being punished in the UK for motorsport coverage ????
1. BBC's chronic F1 coverage (although Legard is gone now).
2. MOTOGP no longer live on Eurosport but occasionally live on the BBC (when they feel it doesn't interfere with snooker/football/golf etc.).
3. WRC from Dave (yes I know MOTORS coverage is still there but it's normally late at night or the next day but better than nothing)to ESPN (I don't know anyone who subscribes to ESPN).

andrew - Unregistered

January 13, 2011 8:18 PM

ESPN at £12 per month on sky is not going to happen in my household.
Why do the knobs ( sorry, "promoters North One ") think every one has unlimited cash to subscribe to a expensive, obscure, football centric channel ?

Is ESPN paying plenty for the privlege of non viewers ?

Dave may have had its critics but it will have had more viewers in 2010 than ESPN in 2011

Taz

January 13, 2011 8:41 PM

I saw this the other day, really grim news, is forcing sky/espn down our throats the best way to push WRC forwards and promote car sales for the manufacturers involved in the UK ? but doubtless the marketing men have done their sums...so they think. The WRC product isn't anywhere near good enough to pay to watch it, that's the truth !

Taz

January 13, 2011 9:07 PM

@Sidney

Fair comment about MotoGP, 2010 coverage was abysmal.

Bit unfair the comment about the F1 coverage, it was much worse when ITV did it, the BBC have done a much better despite the indifference people seem to feel to the race coverage team.

StratosFever - Unregistered

January 13, 2011 10:40 PM

Agree with everybody else.
NorthOne are suffering from delusions of grandeur - the WRC is on it's ar5e in this country. RallyGB passed without as much as a whisper from the National media, TV/Radio. It's disappeared down a black hole. While this sounds a good deal - it's preaching to the converted.
I thought NorthOne were keen to get it on a terrestrial TV station? Not keen enough. Where are the new fans going to come from? How do BMW-Mini feel that their debut season will be watched by very few people? It's quite incredible just how short-sighted NorthOne are.

Cosher-B - Unregistered

January 14, 2011 2:43 AM

Sidney - every MotoGP race was shown live on the BBC in 2010 as they were contractually obliged to do so with Dorna as the only live broadcaster in the UK for the premier series. They also showed all of the 125s and Moto2 live too if memeory serves .... whether you like the coverage is another matter.

ForzaCockermouth

January 14, 2011 3:41 PM

Yep, it really needs to be on main free to view tv channels. I understand 5 were near to getting the deal, but it couldn't be worked out.

It's not a popular decision, I am sure, but I've already given sky another £9 a month (I already subscribe to sky sports) to get ESPN. To be fair, I quite like it. I guess if you are a fan of WRC, you will find the extra cash to watch it.

Chris - Unregistered

January 14, 2011 4:21 PM

If the WRC is on ESPN only then I won't be watching. WRC is my favorite motorsport but it looks like I be watching F1 on the BBC only next year.

WRC will have to be like my viewing of the Dakar, all done online via various site for free.

Hopefully this WRC mistake will be rectified in 2012?

Lets hope Dave, or some other free to air channel, realised the potential of WRC, IRC and the Dakar and does a properfor motorsports fans.

ESPN/Sky will never see any of my cash.

Kiko - Unregistered

January 14, 2011 4:28 PM

Oh boy, you're a miserable bunch on here.

Dave's coveragee was terrible. I don't know what ESPN will provide us with, but it surely won't be much worse. The actual ACTION provided was terrible on Dave - it was all interviews and clips from seasons previous.

You all hate Sky, but you can go with Virgin Media instead. ESPN is also available via BT if I remember correctly.

Also you big baby football haters, if you get Sky then it also shows Cricket, Golf, Speedway, Rugby...