WRC » 2012 WRC calendar to be finalised imminently

The 2012 FIA World Rally Championship calendar has been examined and will be officialised before the end of this month, the FIA has confirmed.

Filter Comments: All | Registered

Chris - Unregistered

March 10, 2011 12:41 PM

This will give the world the opportunity once again to witness how utterly useless Matt Hapless Wilson is on the world stage.

In 2010, year 5 of the 5 year plan (though it was his 7th year) Hapless failed to score a single fastest stage time. Even Kimi managed that.

As for his 'career high 4th' before retirement in Mexico that was a result of those ahead hitting trouble. Waste of space.

Craig - Unregistered

March 10, 2011 1:48 PM

I wonder what the calendar will be like? Not too different from this years one I'm thinking! Anyone hear any news on Abu Dhabi getting a round? I don't think they should get one but then again they ARE sponsoring the Championship and an official team. What about Russia? Surely with CSI buying North One they're bound to have a say in it?

I hope we get some new rounds this year and cancel some others. Obviously you need the classics like GB, Finland and New Zealand but the others could be chopped and changed. There are far too many European rounds at the minute. They should bring back the rotation system. Portugal and Spain could run on alternating years. Same goes for Germany and France, Norway and Sweden and Italy and Greece. They need more rounds further afield. I know Indonesia failed the FIA inspections last year but who cares if the facilities aren't up to standard? Rallying is about the cars, not who makes the best coffee. They should get China back in. Then we need new rounds li

Thomas - Unregistered

March 10, 2011 5:07 PM

Craig!
The rumors are,that next years calendar will have 12 rallys.The changes are,Sweden/Norway,Baltic countrys(Poland,Latvia,Lituania and Estonia,Argentina/Brazil and if they make it and i hope not Abu Dhabi.

Craig - Unregistered

March 10, 2011 6:44 PM

I know Jean Todt was in favour of having a Baltic Rally, which I think is a great idea, but I don't think we're going to see it next year. The idea was only put forward recently so before it was ratified the FIA would have to inspect the route and everything. But I hope it comes in some time soon! Do you think Norway will make it in, Thomas? I hope so. I've always preferred the Norwegian round over the Swedish one.

Yes it's about time they have a rally in the US. It has to be one of the biggest markets for manufacturers there is and the WRC still hasn't held a round there. It's all a bit strange to me. Monte Carlo won't get back in too soon anyway. The IRC is already doing a good job there and I don't think the ACM will give up the benefits that Eurosport bring. Whereas North One brought nothing.

Craig - Unregistered

March 10, 2011 7:38 PM

I'd love nothing more than Rally Ireland getting back into the championship but I don't think it'll be in it next year. I remember seeing Mr. Loeb driving around the streets of my town...brilliant!

Nanbawan - Unregistered

March 10, 2011 8:12 PM

Monte Carlo doesn't really want to go back into the WRC frame, they appreciate the cheaper IRC that also give them more freedom as organisers.

So it's not just a question of whether the WRC wants them back but also if the deal interests the Rallye de Monte Carlo organisers.