WRC » Wilson keen to bounce back in Portugal

Matthew Wilson keen to bounce back from Mexican retirement in Portugal

slightlysideways

March 22, 2011 6:28 PM

'Career best fourth position'
Not really, he finished fourth in Japan 2007 when half the field retired.
He never showed raw pace to date, but if my dad offered me that drive I would take it and wouldn't care what people thought.
He's an excellent driver, not by WRC standards though.
Best of luck then I guess

Taz - Unregistered

March 22, 2011 10:47 PM

@John Kilbride

Absolutely, none of the regulars who appreciate rallying doubt he's good peddler, his dad wasn't shabby, 2nd in Sweden in the Saphire till he binned it one year I seem to remember, just never delivered at WRC level.

John Kilbride - Unregistered

March 22, 2011 11:50 PM

@Taz
I think in fairness to Malcolm, he did ok at the time especially when it came to the RAC. He always did a good enough job to justify his seat in my opinion.
I totally agree with Craig regarding Malcolm putting him in a S2000 Fiesta for the IRC.
There are a lot of good drivers out there who are sitting at home, guys who won British championships etc.
Maybe give one of those guys a run.

DM52 - Unregistered

March 23, 2011 11:20 AM

let him run I say, as mentioned before there are plenty of other drivers that underperform, Al'Qassimi has basically been paying for the works WRC operation via his sponsership links but doesn't really get a mention as a driver blocking a seat for a younger and more talented gun.
Malcolm Wilson with the Ford operation have pretty much propped up the WRC championship in recent years with the amount of cars they prep and engineer, if the price of all that is one spare one for his son then why not?

Hannu - Unregistered

March 23, 2011 12:53 PM

I must say it makes a nice change to read some good stuff about Matt instead of the normal rubbish, one of the problems I think Matt has is budget, if its right what I hear he gets just enough money to run the car and that's about it, so in other words if he starts chuckin it off the road it all stops as he will run out of budget. All the second string Fords have to be paid for ie Matt Henning Al'Qassimi Ostberg Villagra Novikov and Kuipers, so they are not keeping anybody out of a drive they are simply finding the funds to rally in the WRC.

Nicolai - Unregistered

March 23, 2011 8:12 PM

Wow some constructive comments about Matt. Wasnt expecting that :)
I agree with everything said here. He's good, just not good enough. As Hannu said above, maybe because he hasnt got the money, he's never really pushed. Ive never gotten the feeling from Matt that he was pushing right up to his limits and maybe beyond, he always just seems to be cruising.
I still maintain his main goal for competing the WRC is just for experience which he'll use when hes running M-Sport one day.