WRC » Wilson pleased with top five

Matthew Wilson takes fifth in Portugal but team-mate Henning Solberg suffers in the third round of the WRC season

ArmchairSpectator - Unregistered

March 30, 2011 9:06 AM

I'm amazed at the vitriol directed towards Wilson on this site. Ok he's not exactly blowing the doors off the WRC, but the only cars ahead of him at the finish in Portugal were factory ones which you wouldn't expect any privateer (perhaps with the exception of Petter) to beat. Of course we'd all prefer he was like Ogier, but until Meeke is out in the MINI he's all we've got.

John Kilbride - Unregistered

March 30, 2011 11:02 AM

@ArmchairSpectator
Matt has been in the WRC for a long time.
There comes a time when other people should have been given a chance. Ok Matt is a quick driver but perhaps for his own and Fords benefit maybe give him an S2000 Fiesta and put him in either the BRC or IRC.
At least then he and Ford would be getting better more positive exposure.

WRC for me - Unregistered

March 30, 2011 11:31 AM

Im totally on the fence on this. If I was at work and was given a chance to do a better job than I had before (Promotion) and I wasnt very good at it, I might get a chance to improve, then maybe come coaching and another chance, then I'm back where I started. I wouldn't have 5 years of chances or a 5 year plan and still be failing in the sixth.

Having said that, I do enjoy the banter that goes on here about him, you can set your clock by posts after a Matt comment or a rally report. I hope the poor guy doesnt read Crash.net, or maybe he should.

runnah - Unregistered

March 30, 2011 1:15 PM

Finishing 5th and still being several minutes off the pace does not count as progress.

I am sure he is a very nice chap as you brits would say but he just doesn't have the speed. End of story, no more discussion needed.

30 seconds off the leader at the end of the rally isn't bad, that is seconds and fractions of seconds off the pace. 7 minutes is tens of seconds off the pace. More often than not he is 30 seconds down after the first proper stage!

CraigIRL - Unregistered

March 30, 2011 2:09 PM

As I've said before, Meeke is Irish and not British. Even he says so himself.

And leave the whole Wilson thing be. OK he's no Ogier but neither are H. Solberg, Block, Kuipers, Al-Qassimi....

WRC for me - Unregistered

March 30, 2011 3:17 PM

@Matthew Wilson

No I wouldnt if I was as bad as you for fear of the stick I'd be getting. If I did read it, it might rare me up and either make me crash by pushing due to the anger I hold with said comments or I would admit defeat and give up/go to IRC.

Twin Cam Sam - Unregistered

April 02, 2011 8:54 AM

@ WRC for me

I also enjoy the banter on this forum about Britain's fastest and favourite rally driver !

But, after 6 years, how can you be please when you finish 7m 48s off the pace. Colin and Richard would have been gutted with that result, not 'pleased'.

The boy can't cut it.

If Petter and Henning hadn't had problems, he would have been in his customary 7th place. Will be interesting to see where he ends up if the Mini is on the pace.