WRC » Rally GB confirms new four-day route for 2011

Wales Rally GB 2011 to include a new central service at Builth Wells as well as forays into the classic forest stages of North and Mid Wales.

I like green - Unregistered

April 11, 2011 7:55 PM

Dyfi forest, first used on the 1961 tour of britain, before heading off ROUND THE REST OF BRITAIN ! While i,m on Motors tv is making the most exciting motorsport in the world look like a snorefest. I suggest they watch RPM or No Limits, to see how rallying should be reported.

Taz - Unregistered

April 11, 2011 10:56 PM

It's not rally GB...it's just stages in Wales.

Killer Kielder etc would be nice, spectated in Hafren and it's great but just running stages in Wales sucks.

StratosFever - Unregistered

April 11, 2011 11:05 PM

I've been a huge critic of the event, and the organisers - and well deserved as well. At least this is a start, hopefully, Dyfi, Dyfnant, Clocaenog all back after 10-15 years. It's a lot better than I was expecting - it's still a cloverleaf format however, and while the Welsh Assembly are sponsoring it, I'm afraid it's going to stay in Wales - which isn't good. It needs to be based in England for it to be classed as a National event, and not a Welsh one. Please, get it back to Chester!
One thing i have noticed - the huge road mileage - not sure that's going to go down well with the teams.

Logan - Unregistered

April 12, 2011 12:16 AM

One step at a time...First step being the rally back up to North Wales...Next step...get some stages back into the Forests of Lake District and Borders...The odd Stately Home stage would be OK too!!

Dafydd Larcombe - Unregistered

April 12, 2011 12:25 PM

I did the R.A.C. Rally when there were spectator stages and they are crap, you can easily end your Rally there like Makkinen did in 1998

I think the latest news about the route moving Further North is Fantastic news, Dyfnant and Clocaenog are two of my Favorite UK Stages

I didnt watch the event last year as I thought the Rally was as bad as it could possibly be, but this year I will have a look at Friday and Saturday. I am excited about these stages being included again

Lastly, with all due respect and in Defending my Country of Wales, We sponsor the Event so it has to be here, England could bid for the Event but it seems that they dont want it so lets be greatful that Wales sees the benifit of Sponsoring our Home Rally.

Taz - Unregistered

April 12, 2011 12:54 PM

@Dafydd

I'm not taking a pop at the rally as such, we had a blast on the Welsh stages (and roads) when we were spectating on the RAC, Crash insist on calling it Rally GB, it's really rally Wales so why not call it that.

JohnDier1

April 12, 2011 3:01 PM

Taz, the full title of Rally Wales GB is as much to do with the WRC organisers as the rally organisers, so to blame the organisers for calling it having GB in the title when it is in only one part is not their fault. Credit is due to the Welsh assembly for sponsoring it when money is tight. I am sure that the Scotish parliament puts in a lot of cash to the IRC Rally Scotland & both the Northern assembly and the Irish Government did for Rally Ireland, so now it seems thet the UK central government is the odd one out not putting any cash in to a world rally event on either of the two championships!

Taz - Unregistered

April 12, 2011 4:52 PM

@JohnDier1

I'm not disagreeing, motorsport gets ignored by the goverment and I'll quite happily blame the people running WRC who are idiots.....and DR for ruining the sport in the 1st place.

JohnDier1

April 12, 2011 7:11 PM

As well as governments ignoring the sport Taz, try to raise sponsorship to cover events as a freelance journo, even press outlets are inclined to think of any motorsport apart from F1 as a minority sport! A minority sport that depends so much on volunteers that help week in, week out without moaning and provide free spectating, minority my tail end!!!