WRC » VW completes maiden Polo test

Carlos Sainz tests the new VW Polo WRC in Germany

aldo2654 - Unregistered

November 03, 2011 9:56 PM

Best looking car around in the WRC currently even though it is NOT competing yet. I think Ford & Citroen should scared, if BMW & VW/AUDI put the money they say are going to put into their WRC progammes, they will beat the DS3 & Fiesta. The Mini is already competitive and it is only doing a few rallies in 2011 as testing, so bring on 2012.

Andrew N - Unregistered

November 04, 2011 12:42 AM

@aldo2654 - I think it looks good, not sure I'd be as bold to say it's the best looking car in WRC, looks a bit like the Fiesta to me. I like the look of the Fiesta and the DS3 and this new Polo, but all are much of a muchness. Not saying it's the prettiest, but the MINI is the only unique looking car in world rallying right now.

@ e tong - This is definitely a good thing, by having the Skoda IRC experience (and parts) VW might just be able to keep up with the other 3 teams when they enter in 2013. Bedded in Fords, Citreons and MINIs vs competitive VW = competitive rallying.

Could you imagine a season where we have 4 types of car finishing within a minute of each other on every rally. Would be so so good for the sport.

Andrew N - Unregistered

November 04, 2011 12:42 AM

Nick636

November 04, 2011 7:19 AM

It looks like the sport is slowly getting a revival!!!

I am excited for 2013 / 2014. I think they have the drive to develop and be competitive. The car is HOT looking!!!
I've been a Citroen fan while there was no VW to support. NOW I CAN SUPPORT MY BRAND!!! Only ever owned VW's.

If they get strong drivers things will work out.

Now we just need Subaru and Mitsubishi in factory guise.

Taz - Unregistered

November 04, 2011 9:13 AM

These aren't great looking rally cars when you consider the Lancia Stratos & 037, Renault Alpine, Manta 400 etc and then the mad group B cars.

I do think they'll be competitive and if Mini carries on the way they are going it could be interesting.

Shame about the mickey mouse engines.

V Who? - Unregistered

November 09, 2011 12:02 PM

Look how quickly Mini was made competitive but VW still need another year...is that the smell of fear?

Perhaps their soft feel premium dashbaord will help them go faster than the likes of Prodrive, Citroen and MSport who all have vast experience of WRC. Perhaps. Either that or maybe they'll have a bigger chequebook?