WRC » Al-Attiyah secures Citroen drive

Nasser Al-Attiyah to drive a third factory Citroen DS3 WRC in 2012

Filter Comments: All | Registered

John Kilbride - Unregistered

December 16, 2011 1:43 PM

@race fan
I could not agree with you more.
Its a shame that such drivers as this are being given the best rally cars out there.
Its the same last few years with Ken Block, Raikonen, Quassimi, Matt wilson etc. There is so much young talent out there that should be given the chance.
I feel equal shame on some of their sponsors given money for some of these guys who put in the same result, rally upon rally. Why can they not put their money into someone who can possibly run at the front.

Aye - Unregistered

December 16, 2011 1:51 PM

Al-Attiyah won't set the stages on fire, but he'll certainly be better than Al-Qassimi. I think it's a good deal for Citroen, as Nasser will consistently be in the top 10, therefore keeping those pesky Fiesta's at bay haha.

I wonder how much sponsorship he is bringing though? Will Qatar get as much exposure on the Citroen as Abu Dhabi got on the Ford? We'll have to wait and see.

It's unlikely that Al-Qassimi will stay on with Ford. He was only there because of the Abu Dhabi Tourism Authority. And since their partnership with Ford is no more, then I'd say Khalid's WRC career is over. I wonder if there's still going to be a Spirit Of The Rally Award on each event though...

Aye - Unregistered

December 16, 2011 2:05 PM

@ John Kilbride

It's never a good thing when money talks, but that's unfortunately the way it is. Block is there because he's a walking billboard. Raikkonen was only there because of Red Bull in the first year and personal sponsorship this year. Al-Qassimi was only there because of the ADTA. He's gone now that they're gone, though. And Wilson is only there bacause his father runs M-Sport. I know people think they're taking up good seats, but they're not. They were able to raise the capital required for a campaign and that's that. Besides, if an amazing driver wanted a car, there would be one waiting for him, so long as he had the money ready.

Plus...there aren't REALLY any good privateers out there at the minute. The only ones I can think of are Mads Ostberg (who has money anyway), Ott Tanak (who's under contract with M-Sport), and Craig Breen (who's doing the SWRC).

Aye - Unregistered

December 16, 2011 2:24 PM

I see what you mean yeah. I would too but that's not going to be the case anytime soon! But Malcolm Wilson said he's going to keep an eye on Ostberg and Tanak. So if Solberg doesn't cut it next season, then Wilson is going to look into giving the two young guns a go. Breen's only 21 so he's not ready for a factory seat yet. But he's doing the SWRC in the Fiesta S2000, so we'll see what he does in 2013!

Do you know what the story on Stobart is? I've heard that they're being replaced by Adapta...?

John Kilbride - Unregistered

December 16, 2011 2:35 PM

Heard nothing about stobart, I might be a bit biased here but I feel Breen could do a good enough job, I am not sure whether the SWRC is the way to go, I feel that they are treated as 2nd class citizens compared to wrc guys. Regarding Matt Wilson, I feel the IRC would be a far much better proposition for both him and Ford.
He is a quick driver but just not or never will be WRC material. Running 5th in every event is not the way to go. I feel Al Attiyah is going to do same in Citroen in WRC. Having being brought up on rallying in the 70's 80's I feel if you do not make much progress after 2 years, its time to move on.

Joe Bloggs - Unregistered

December 17, 2011 7:16 AM

I rate Tanak and Ostberg highly, Hayden Paddon looks good too but I'm biased also as a big Craig Breen fan. I think SWRC is made for him, look at his progress in 2 years, he has the car, has won on Tarmac and gravel, has a budget for 2 years further development, knows a lot of the events and will now learn the rallies he has not done before for WRC experience in the future. Sure IRC is a great series but the rallies are obviously different to WRC where I'm sure Breen will be for many years. Also he will be rallying under the eyes of the WR team chiefs and sponsors and has been loyal to Ford throughout - even worked at MSport......very impressive cv at 21

John Kilbride - Unregistered

December 17, 2011 11:23 AM

I agree with you on some of the things you said about Craig Breen. Ok he has won on Tarmac and Gravel at home and in the Uk but I feel you cant judge him on these events in comparison to SWRC or IRC.
The fact that he is just 21, he has a bit of time on his hands, I feel if he was to concentrate on IRC would be better option as he would get more coverage etc.
His performance in Scotland makes me feel he is more than capable of running with the best and actually winning rallies, while I feel SWRC is just considered a class in the WRC, winners are not given same recognition. Take for instance Juha Hanninen who featured so well in this years championship, to best of my knowledge is is reverting back to IRC for this year. Ok way I see it for Breen, it would be better for him to be winning or in top 3 of event in Irc round rather than battling for class win in SWRC one