WRC » FIA terminates deal with North One Sport


FIA: 'NOS has conspicuously failed to deliver its contractual obligations and is in fundamental breach of contract...'

Sort Comments: Oldest | Newest

Dafydd Larcombe - Unregistered

January 09, 2012 11:47 AM

Well there we have it !!

There are two sides to every coin as they say, it is remarkable that an issue this important and the F.I.A have not even made a single telephone call or indeed answered the phone to N.O.S

This is probably the most important issue the F.I.A have right now that needs to be resolved, its hard to believe they didnt stay in touch regarding the developments with the Quatari backer for the new deal

Taz

January 09, 2012 11:51 AM
Last Edited 1082 days ago

Dafydd,

Looks like it'll be on Eurosport which is no bad thing. By the sounds of it North One didn't have a firm offer on the table, someone is telling fibs. Not that I trust the FIA.

Genuinely sorry for the staff at North One, putting rallying on pay per view was madness though.

bojan - Unregistered

January 09, 2012 12:16 PM

It was watching the live coverage of last year's Monte on Eurosport that re-ignited my interest in rallying. If at this late stage the same can be arranged for this year that will be great.

Sorry for the staff at North One, but if there was no firm deal reached the FIA could hardly wait any longer without the risk of having to cancel the Monte this year.

Dafydd Larcombe - Unregistered

January 09, 2012 1:54 PM

I think reading between the lines and given that time had almost run out, the F.I.A wanted solid written assurances and someone at Noth One Sport was hoping to explain the situation by phone about the new Imminent Quatari backed Deal in the pipeline

When no written assurances came, the Contract was terminated at once. Its sad for all the 40 staff at N.O.S but hopefully with only 10 days notice all the same people that brought us top coverage of last years Monte can just do the same sort of thing again only this time for the WRC not IRC, probably not live though

Motors tv are supposidly still doing coverage too though, so now we will have 2 channels giving us coverage for free, Oh well, at least I can cancel ESPN now...

Aye - Unregistered

January 09, 2012 1:55 PM

I was meant to go to Monte Carlo this year but I cancelled my trip over the uncertainty over the running of the event. It's a bloody disgrace but these things happen.

On another note, has anyone else heard of the formation of the Sweden World Rally Team? Apparently Patrik Sandell will campaign a MINI. I've heard that it'll be announced in Stockholm today.

Peter Starr - Unregistered

January 09, 2012 3:26 PM

Stuffed by the FIA...as usual! There was a deal in writing but unable to be signed until FIA approval received. Bank presented credentials to FIA but were told the NOS contract 'had been revoked'. Bank furious with FIA and told them no deal. Bank had been trying to deal with FIA for 12 hours but no reply or contact made. For the record no terrestrial coverage in 2011 although it was offered to all channels for almost nothing as viewing figs were so low.ITV Channel 4 was on the cards for 2012 + further on line footage. Monte coverage should be good as Eurosport know the event BUT what will happen in Sweden and Mexico and will it be on terrestrial ??? Somebody in rugby football mentioned "50 old duffers being in charge" - same applies to FIA - except that they are normally off on a jolly and "out of contact" - where was Mt Todd this week...???

Ryan - Unregistered

January 09, 2012 9:43 PM

I think there are clearly two very different sides to this one story, but reading between the lines I suspect the following:

In their desperation to continue to exist NOS took easy money from Antonov - this was done on the basis that it would be good for the WRC, it was in fact good for NOS

Surprise surprise the Russian wasn't quite above board

NOS scramble to the next cash cow, the Middle East, and having milked the emirate of Abu Dhabi dry they turned to the next cashed up emirate of Qatar

The FIA, probably tiring of the run around from Abu Dhabi over wanting to host a WRC Round and cuts backs on mass at their sparkly F1 track, I'm guessing wanted some serious assurances the money was real and available almost instantly

And with an event less than a fortnight away, and NOS seemingly desperate to sell the farm, and with I'm guessing the Qatari's doing their best to haggle the price to a real bargain basement, the FIA said enough is enough and will no doubt turn to 'trusted' Euro

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3  »

Join the conversation - Add your comment

Please login or register before adding your comments.

Although the administrators and moderators of this website will attempt to keep all objectionable comments off these pages, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the poster, and neither Crash Media Group nor Crash.Net will be held responsible for the content of any message. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. If you find a message objectionable, please contact us and inform us of the problem or use the [report] function next to the offending post. Any message that does not conform with the policy of this service can be edited or removed with immediate effect.

© 1999 - 2014 Crash Media Group

The total or partial reproduction of text, photographs or illustrations is not permitted in any form.