WRC » Solberg: I couldn’t have asked for anything more

Petter Solberg: I love the car – it is really fast, I can tell you! It suits my driving style very well. I've been waiting for a long time to get into a situation like this...

Filter Comments: All | Registered

Twin Cam Sam - Unregistered

January 23, 2012 7:42 PM

Top result for Petter, bodes well for the rest of the season.

If JML has a few more offs/ dnf's, Petter could be well placed to win the championship.

To quote Mark Webber 'Not bad for a number 2 driver !'

M3 Jambo - Unregistered

January 23, 2012 10:17 PM

Good result for Petter but I expect normal service to be resumed shortly. Yeah JML will bin it on occaision but otherwise he will have the upper hand much as he did with Mikko. Petter's a great driver and fantastic guy but he will not be in the title race at the business end of the season. My opinion is based on his record over the last five or six years and would appear to be shared by Citroen, Prodrive and arguably Volkswagon & Ford as well.

slightlysideways

January 23, 2012 11:16 PM

@M3 jambon
The thing is, he binned it regularly with subaru when the car was a dog, that often broke down and hence poor results. When he was running his team he was visibly exhausted from doing everything but still did very well.
Of course Loeb will win this year, but only time will tell if Solberg will be second.

btw that's who my money is on.

M3 Jambo - Unregistered

January 23, 2012 11:49 PM

@slightlysideways
My recollection is not of him binning it that often, but more not getting the best out of a dog. As I recall Atkinson was getting better results latterly. Accept there were other considerations when running his own car, but it seemed everytime he was in with a shout of winning or coming close, something always happened - sometimes due to bad luck admittedly, but you need the rub of the green as well!

chris - Unregistered

January 24, 2012 12:05 PM

I agree with M3 jambo and i would go a step further and say that petter is past it, maybe even never was. He didnt have the know how to develop the subaru, even at a time when subaru were throwing money at it. Atko had the beating of him regulary and then he became one of the also rans when he had his own citroen. My guess is that he came very cheap to ford out of pure desperation on his part to get a drive. However, he does undoubtably have marketing power for ford to exploit. He is no challenger to leob or JML tho. Although if he keeps speeding, he is doing his image harm due to all the road safety messages these days.

runnah - Unregistered

January 24, 2012 1:39 PM

You guys are crazy. Subaru was run into the ground by poor management and unwillingness to change. Petter and Atkinson were driving the nuts of the cars and the car would just break or when they didn't were just not on par with Ford and Citroen. The proof is in the fact that when Petter used a 2nd hand old car he was able to keep up with the top 3.