WRC » IRC: Mikkelsen leads in Corsica

Andreas Mikkelsen: It's been a perfect day for us...

Filter Comments: All | Registered

DafyddLarcombe

May 11, 2012 10:37 AM

This Guy really is starting to show his true colours, matching Ogier is not easy in equal machinary, but he did this for most of Argentina, now he is infront of Sordo in Corsica in a proper S2000 Car as opposed to the RRC that is if anything a little bit quicker than an S2000 and should be infront quite easily

I think this Guy could do really well in a new generation 1.6 WRC car, if VW doesnt sign him its because Jari Matti is going there instead, if this happens then Ford have to quickly move to sign Andreas, maybe an all Norweigen team will be born, like Ford has been all Finnish in the past, that wouldnt be the end of the world for Ford....

DafyddLarcombe

May 11, 2012 12:48 PM

Yes Taz !

I remember reading Vatanans book "Every second counts" and he was telling about the time he was driving a 74 Opel Ascona that he said wasnt anything special and about the 1st time he beat Mikkola

That is still my favorite book to this day and one which i reconmend any Rally fan should track down and read, loads of awesome stories from a very young Vatanen including his job before he got into Rallying

Taz

May 11, 2012 1:04 PM

Yeah,

I watched greatest years of rallying 70s many a time, remember Vatanan saying he couldn't catch Mikkola..."That Mr Mikkola, he really flys"

The Tony Fall and Ari Vatanen clip has to be my favourite rally clip of all time

www youtube com/watch?v=J3E92ykIIU0

Go to 33m 11secs or so.

Enjoy

@DafyddLarcombe

Yes, Mikkelsen did an amazing drive to keep with Ogier. He's already with the VW people so I can see him on the new team.

Regarding an all Norwegian Ford, Ostberg is already driving one and we have agreed that he is the most impressive rising talent at the moment.

Your informed forcasting is very interesting to read!

gilles

stefanvv - Unregistered

May 11, 2012 5:40 PM

AFAIK Mikkelsen drives for Skoda UK, not for VW. You can't really tell who is the faster of 2 drivers until you put them in equal cars for at least couple of rallies, so I guess it is not easy decision.

I also don't think Ogier is pushing really hard this year. After Monte Carlo he seem to slow down and do his job - gather experience for VW team.

Mikkelsen is very talanted no doubt. As for Ostberg, we saw his great potential this year (and glimpses last one), he will be champion probably some day he has lot of time ahead of him. I can see new wave of Norvegian drivers coming at the heights here.

McPloppy - Unregistered

May 11, 2012 11:23 PM

@ Taz
That is a cracking video but my fav which does involve Ari again is the in car footage from the 1993 1000 Lakes. The first run from the then new Imprezza. Still don't quite understand who he kept the thing on the road

chris - Unregistered

May 12, 2012 4:08 PM

@ Gilles. I guess you dont beon this forum much. Dafyyd makes many predictions and forecasts and I have yet to see any come through. Rallying truely is his number 1 sport as he speaks very passionately and self professed expertly. However, his predictions are usually way off the mark.

gilles - Unregistered

May 14, 2012 5:53 PM

Chris, I have been on this site long enough to remember your questioning Dafydd (rather harshly) about not finding anything about him on the internet. I believe you used the word "sh1te". To my surprise, Dafydd actually responded to your immature post and (very graciously) put you in your place.

I also remember more recently the confusion of several posts by "Chris" including one using his last name initial. I was never confused. I could always tell by your tone which one was you.

I never said Dafydd's predictions were accurate. He is passionate and knowledgeable enough to write his own column. I always enjoy reading his posts as well as many other regulars including yours.