WRC » Finland frustration

Ford World Rally Team's Petter Solberg looks back on Rally Finland, the eighth round in the 2012 FIA World Rally Championship, in his latest exclusive column for Crash.net.

Filter Comments: All | Registered

Chris - Unregistered

August 11, 2012 3:41 PM

Does this guy ever hold his hand up and say he just wasnt fast enough. And to say him and JML were at the same pace?? They weren't. JML was faster and the times showed it. That is like Mikko saying he was on the same pace as Seb. He wasn't, he was a split second here are there slower but Mikko held his hand up and said, Seb was faster. Petter really annoys me. I have been saying it now for a long time. In the last year or 2 at Subaru, Atko was faster. Ok, when he had the Xsara, it was an old car but in the C4, he wasnt fast enough. And people love him? I dont get it, Im sorry maybe I am missing something. The guy is past it. If he is so passionate about the sport, when he went private and put huge effert into securing backing, he should have supported an up and coming driver.

JoePike - Unregistered

August 11, 2012 10:46 PM

You are not the only one to think that way.
But Petter is a guy who will go to the fans first upon arrival at the park and then to the media team later on.
This is what makes him so popular
But with Citroen and the DS3 in its first year, he managed to even make Loeb furious ( quite a stunt really, because the guy is cool) during interview by saying to everyone
that he had not the same car than the factory guys.
He went to Loeb later on,saying he was sorry but he needed the media to talk about him to get sponsors.
This is Petter ...

Nanbawan - Unregistered

August 11, 2012 11:43 PM

Off Topic : Crash hasn't dealt with it yet

A little word about Philippe "Bug" Bugalski who tragically died yesterday in a freak accident.

Best remembered for his win in the Xsara FWD against the WRCs. He was the driver who set off Citroen in the WRC when Loeb was still driving a Saxo.

R.I.P.

Repose en paix

JoePike - Unregistered

August 12, 2012 8:39 AM

Yes very sad news
Bug was the official tester for Citroen since the first WRC for the Xsara, the C4 and the DS3
He was testing every single factory WRC car
upon exit from Satory before any WRC event.
He was in charge of Automeca (he ran Neuville in JWRC in 2010)
tough time !

stefanvv

August 12, 2012 7:43 PM

The truth is that until half the race, he and JML were at similar pace with slight advantage for JML. The Solberg decided to harden his suspension for couple of stages, which led him little far behind with 10 seconds or so, then he reverted his old settings and was beaten by Hirvonen at Ouninpohja power stage only by half a second. The man has spirit to race left, not enough to beat Loeb, but who can:)

Other truth is that this year is one of worst for Ford, but that is another story.

Mario - Unregistered

August 13, 2012 5:29 PM

I disagree with those who say that Petter has no pace, in the Rally of Argentina beat Loeb far not been for the mistake he made sure he won, in Finland Ford was not up to Citroen, I keep all rallies and I think JM and PS have the same rate as S Loeb, the big problem is in citroen cars is a step ahead as long ago ..... merit but that's because Loeb is one of the best developers of the cars, which also PS and JM and Mikko are not and that's very obvious ...

JoePike - Unregistered

August 13, 2012 10:12 PM

Argentina ?
He wins ss1 (6km using his soft tyres)
He wins SS3 after hitting a bank and bending the rear arm suspension ( very lucky escape)
And he breaks the car in SS4
You call that a performance ?
He is overdoing it regularly and this why he has had so many punctures and problems compared to others.
He is so predictable

chris - Unregistered

August 14, 2012 6:23 AM

@ JoePike. What are your thoughts on Petter as a development driver. I heard that Subaru lay part of the blame for their demise on petter. I know the S14 was not around for long but even for the short period, it didnt seem like it was going to be a great car. As regards him over doing it and getting punctures etc, I fully agree with you. Even when he does get them, it was always that he was unlucky or if "I hadnt got the puncture I could have won". All BS if you ask me. Dont get me wrong, I am a huge ford fan. It sickens me to not see them at the top fighting. Loeb rarely hits mechanical trouble and people say he is lucky. He is just kind on a car. Mikko is too for that matter. He rarely hits bother. I think JML is great but he really drives on the edge or over it. Petter is just rough on a car.

JoePike - Unregistered

August 14, 2012 10:44 AM

@Chris
Don't get me wrong.I have nothing against Petter.But he is the exact opposite of a dev driver.
I saw him asking young Ogier's setup because of very lousy shakedown times (Ogier was a very young driver in Turkey!But then Petter could not ask Loeb really).
Nobody seems to remember that the guy won a world championship with a car set up by Makkinen, but Makkinen went into retirement.
Then he got a young inexperienced driver along (Hirvo) and mechanical diff's ( he had never experienced mechanical diffs)
Then came the "Manager/God/Engineer/Pilot" era with about everything being decided by one single person. Whatever he said had to be followed. ( The last year of Subaru , Atkinson was allowed to use his own setup and we saw the results ).
This helped the demise of Subaru ( definitely the S14 was not good, but one single point of view is definitely worse)
Today FX Demaison, Loriaux or Malcolm do not trust him at all because he tries to bull**** all the time.( saw him last year in Ger

JoePike - Unregistered

August 14, 2012 10:46 AM

saw him last year in Germany like a madman in Baumholder claiming he was taking it easy, Or saying he was being carefull in Greece on Saturday (I believe he was 40km/h faster than any other driver on a wet slippery muddy track with half of the car body already hanging so we knew he would crash soon or later).It was just undrivable , because my rented 4x4 was sliding all around at 15km/h)
There must be a reason he was not allowed to touch the settings of his Ford for the 4 or 5 first races of the year.
The guy is generous, the guy can drive, the guy is enthousiast but I do not believe he can tune a car. Panizzi explained it clearly and if you read french: