WRC » Wilson Jr to return for Wales Rally GB

Matthew Wilson: It will be fantastic to get back to the WRC. I have been waiting for this for a long time and to have my return [to the championship] on my home event is something very special

DafyddLarcombe

August 16, 2012 1:03 PM

Wow you guys have an aweful lot to say for someone who would probably be at least 10 seconds a mile slower than Matty even if you practiced all day

I know that he doesnt have what it takes to beat the best drivers but he is still a very quick driver, all of you would be amazed at the skill required to do his times and keep the car on the road at those speeds

I suppose you just cant appreciate what it takes, even so I dont think you should all be as bitter as you are toward the kid, He obviously loves driving Rally cars like most people would, just let sleeping dogs lye guys !

runnah - Unregistered

August 16, 2012 1:38 PM

Dafydd

Yes top 10 in the wrc is still damn impressive no matter how you slice it.

I think the issue is that every press release touts Wilson as the second coming of Mcrae, Burns etc.. all rolled into one. Quick, sure. Worth the attenion? Not by a long shot.

Aye - Unregistered

August 16, 2012 5:45 PM

I never cared much for Wilson. That is until Nobre and Araujo came onto the scene. But now that Araujo has been replaced by Atkinson, I'd love to see Wilson replace Nobre. Matthew doesn't set the stages on fire, but at least he does a decent job.

Daddies Little Soldier - Unregistered

August 16, 2012 6:17 PM

I'm sure Matthew Wilson and Eddie The Eagle are/were both better than me at their chosen sports, doesn't qualify them as world class though does it? Daddy should make Matthew stand on his own two feet and see how far his "career" lasts. Give the drive to a youngster who could learn from the experience rather than waste it on a driver who after 88 WRC starts shows no signs of ever reach the top.

Best finish 4th. Stage wins 3.

rjbetty - Unregistered

August 17, 2012 3:30 AM

Haha this is the best news I've heard all day! Hopefully he will drive that car like he stole it and not just do 'testing' on his way to 11th!

I don't understand the amount of hate this guy gets. I really hope he succeeds, whatever would be a successful result.

I remember him winning in the BRC. The truth is he is at a far higher level than most people, and is better than a 7 time champion.

I mean Villagra of course. And Wilson IS better than Villagra surely. People are saying he has no talent???

Maybe some support wouldn't go amiss. Nigel Mansell testified to the difference that can make to a driver.

rjbetty again - Unregistered

August 17, 2012 3:40 AM

And as I don't want to be a hypocrite, I admit I spent a few occasions tearing into Matt too. I wish I hadn't, but I let myself get dragged down by others...

If you wanna hate on someone, why not Guy Wilks? Neither he or Kris Meeke will (almost certainly) ever win the title, yet the amount of press and hype those guys get is no worse than for Matty.

Matt has NEVER 'wasted' a car. It wouldn't have gone to anyone else. People, if you wanna talk about wasting a car how about Wilks?

Wilks strikes me as quite an arrogant driver who seems to think he's a lot better than he is. He thought he should get a full time drive, while not giving a **** about better drivers such as PG-ANDERSSON who BEAT him at Suzuki should go without...

As far as I can see, Matt has always hoped to succeed in the WRC, but to me it's never come across with huge arrogance. I don't actually think he has said he's as good as Mcrae and Burns (is that right?)

DafyddLarcombe

August 17, 2012 12:03 PM

I think people need to appreciate that as the son of Malcolm Wilson there is a certain expectation on his shoulders to do well as he easily has a head start over other drivers given his fortune in this manner

He doesnt ever say he is the next World Champion in the making and he is always saying how difficult he finds the conditions, he is just a good honest lad who enjoys driving Rally Cars, and if his Dads company M-Sport can help him find a Budget to compete then what is the harm ?

This is what any successful Dad would do for their son. Obviously Malcolm would like to see his son further succeed in the Sport and at 25 he still has many years left to develop. Any driver who can get in the Top 10 of the WRC is a Very Good driver, Top 5 is a dream for most drivers. Maybe he will get a Top 5 on GB this year.

rjbetty84 - Unregistered

August 17, 2012 12:28 PM

Well said Dafydd, I only ever remember him mentioning the title as a hope.

Again, if people want to find someone making claims of delivering the world while not having the talent to do so, may I suggest Guy Wilks who couldn't handle PG in the JWRC (who had less experience too). Didn't win the JWRC let alone the WRC.

And also Kris Meeke too, though I imagine he could win a rally in the right conditions.

Pissing On Their Graves - Unregistered

August 17, 2012 2:22 PM

The lack of ambition of some British rally fans is so sad, "never mind if you aren't good/fast enough, just have fun" perhaps Wilson could be awarded a "special" prize for taking part.

Mcrae and Burns are spinning in their graves.

Markko - Unregistered

August 22, 2012 1:54 PM

OK, guys (especially Mr. Larcombe), top 10 in WRC is a success as you say it, but given the fact that sometimes there are only 10 WRC cars on the start and even some S2000s can finish higher than some WRC drivers... Well, that's not a success.

On the other hand, I'm not saying that Matt isn't quick and I don't blame Malcolm to do this. He's not doing it for the sport, but for his own son. That's it. Don't be harsh on both Wilsons and be happy that they are in WRC. With their money, they could go fishing somewhere and Citroen would be racing again... well another Citroen.

« 1 2 3  »