WRC » Rally GB set to remain in Wales 2013

Welsh Government and organisers International Motorsports Ltd reach an 'in principle agreement' for 2013

Stratos Fever - Unregistered

September 13, 2012 7:59 PM

This is frankly awful news for the sport. IMS chairman claims the event has been a great success. Is he living on planet earth? An event that once had 180 cars, massive TV, radio and media coverage, and drew crowds like no other event in Britain.
Now look, 30 entries, minimal media coverage, and dwindling spectator numbers.

Blimey, can I have what he's on. Yet another nail in the coffin of the event.

i like green - Unregistered

September 13, 2012 9:05 PM

With more manufacturers set to take part, the tv coverage needs to improve massively. The MotorsTV stuff is AWFUL! The letterbox view is done to death, whats wrong with viewing the car from stageside. Also, is it too much to ask for the sound to be in sync, once is bad but all season is inexcusable. watch any of the irish coverage or even old british championship rallies on world of sport with commentary by ****ie davis (on youtube) to see how the sport should be presented.

weechris - Unregistered

September 13, 2012 10:38 PM

Have to say thats a bad decision on all parts. Even tho WRC is getting the VW onboard for next year it doesnt change the fact that spectator numbers are dwindling. TV coverage is poor at best. Whats needed is to bring Rally GB back up north where its belongs. You got to make it more appealing for people to come and watch it.

Mrploppy - Unregistered

September 13, 2012 10:44 PM

Being from cardiff im quite pleased, although i do completely understand the fact that this years event is a pretty poor show in terms of entries & tv. Ive only ever known it here & it being here has got me hooked on rallying, so ive never seen the "glory" days of the tour of britain on the RAC as people are always on about!!

The stages here are good undeniably but it has lost some of its unique personality being in september this year, but i feel there is a bigger issue regarding the WRC in the uk that is'nt completley connected with WRGB. When red bull come in and get it on tv it will only get more popular and more interest will be shown by media, sponsors and spectators. And you never know elfyn could give us a new british rallying star!!!

alex laffey - Unregistered

September 14, 2012 1:35 AM

as a rally driver my self i find this very sad news, rally GB shouldn't be located only in wales, if rallying ever want to get back to the glory days, where people will travel miles to see there favorite driver first the rallys must come to them. A lot of people have forgotten rallying, then main focus should be gaining new fans, by bring rally GB to large population zero such as northern england as, the rally would have access to a much large amount of stages taking grizedale, kielder and even in to scotland, this is the perfect location for rally GB. also it would be boosted massively by better and more direct road network for spectators to get to the event as wales is frankly terrible, get to rallys in wales is very annoying for me as it takes ages just to get anywhere in wales.

minicooper - Unregistered

September 14, 2012 6:42 AM

Short sighted decision which is symptomatic of the lack of vision of the organizers.I believe the start in Llandudno was poorly promoted and attendance low, with spectator numbers declining and some stages short of marshals there are obvious signs that this event needs a refresh to live up to its status as a WRC event. Most events on the continent make WRGB look jaded. With the prospect of more manufactures coming on board the demand for a stronger brand image may cause this event to drop off the calender unless its commercial image improves.

DafyddLarcombe

September 14, 2012 9:42 AM

I competed on the R.A.C when it was all over the place with spectator specials on the 1st day and apart from the 1st day it was a Good format with stages in North, Mid and South Wales, Good times !

I think the Stages that organisers have chosen for Saturday in Recent years kill the Rally, that plus the September Slot on the Calender this year. Most of the Best stages here in Wales are simply not getting used, its not like we are short of classic stages

Today we have some Good stages but tomorrow could be even better, instead tomorrow is aweful. This Rally needs new ideas and new Leadership if this is what the people in charge think is a good format, Maybe some decent 18 mile night stages with easy spectator access, I loved driving in the dark, its Rallying !

Of course the location of the Rally entirely in Wales is simply down to Funding as the Welsh Government make it possible for Rally GB to even take place by funding the event

WRC for me - Unregistered

September 14, 2012 11:26 AM

Right, heres my two pennies worth. I live in the South so obviously its pretty good news for me, plus if it moves up North, will I get my wheels stolen (Just Kidding). Last year I hired a motorhome to travel to the North of Wales. I spent all day travelling up to watch the opening ceromany but missed the morning stages. I then travelled all the way back down. This year we I couldnt go but if it was in Colwyn bay, I wouldn't bother to go up there. Now, the northen folk want it moved north so its easier to spectate, nothing wrong with that but the more distance you out between days and stages, the less people I fell will attend. My pals said they'd go to Margam but no farther. It does need to have stages reletivley close otherwise people wont attend.

I only hope Red Bull REALLY make it the sport it should be and once was.

1 2  »