WRC » Loeb: Decision to step back not easy

Sebastien Loeb says it was a difficult decision to stand down from a full-time WRC drive

Dave - Unregistered

October 03, 2012 5:26 PM

Even competing in only some of the season, he'll still probably find a way of becoming champion.

On a serious note, I wonder if whoever wins the WRC in 2013 will value their achievement as much as if Loeb had also been there to be beaten. But still, with the great man gone it will certainly be a golden opportunity for Hirvonen to finally become champion - and it won't be a certainty for him, guys like Ogier, Latvala, Ostberg and P.Solberg will all be contenders too.

MT Motorsport - Unregistered

October 03, 2012 6:36 PM

Not an entertainer??? Watching Seb on a charge when he is taking lumps of time out of the others is nothing more than breathtaking. To say that Seb lacks charisma is nonsense. He is a driven, focused, genuinely nice guy who still has time for the fans. Drivers like Colin and Ari were showmen without doubt but the sport has changed and results are the number one thing. Also the modern WRC car since the last 10-12 years does not reward exuberant driving, even JML has had to tone it down to get results.

stefanvv

October 03, 2012 8:59 PM

@JAndrade
LOL, that's funny. In my country Tommy Makkinen was a guest of our popular tv show years ago and the showman told him in his town every taxi driver is driving like Rally driver:)

That wasn't my point for sure. I mean Loeb is concentrating on the driving itself to make it more and more efficient with what he's got. If we were in Group B era you could probably find him spectacular, but that is not the case right now. His driving style is the most efficient with current rally cars, but that is not spectacular for the majority of people. It is a matter of definition of what you want to see from a rally driver:) Unfortunatelly for them, often the spectacle ends in some ditch:)

I'm not his fan either, but I have to admit his supremecy:)

ants - Unregistered

October 04, 2012 4:36 AM

I don't care if he has all the records from WRC...he is still one the most boring personalities from wrc...and he will never have following like McRae, Burns, etc...Good luck and we won't miss you

JAndrade - Unregistered

October 04, 2012 3:05 PM

@stefanvv

You're a fin? Land of the best drivers ever!:)
All of this is highly subjective, of course, and it all boils down to personal taste. But I surely won't dispute (and didn't) that Loeb is, most probably, the greatest rally driver that ever was. I'll still go with Rohrl, but, hey, that's me. :)

richard

October 04, 2012 8:09 PM

i may be showing my age, but to me, the greates driver before loebs great run, was....wait for it....

timo makkinen, another finn. his exploits in cooper s and big healey were legendary.

« 1 2