WRC » Latvala secures Volkswagen seat

Jari-Matti Latvala to partner Sebastien Ogier at Volkswagen for the 2013 WRC season

DafyddLarcombe

October 17, 2012 1:56 PM

In the interest of keeping balance I was hoping he would stay at M-Sport, but hes gone to VW and I cant say I blame him, even though Malcolm recently agreed to match the Huge Salary offered to Jari Matti to switch as the battle for his services once again reignited between the two Teams

Im sure that we will now see a very interesting season in 2013 as I dont think the Polo is all that fast yet according to various rumours, maybe Mikko will easily set the benchmark without Loeb around, and with his consistancy he could well be the favorite for the Drivers Champion next year

The Burning question is will Citroen Rob M-Sport of it only remaining driver in Petter Solberg, or will Malcolm manage to keep him, then who will be his team mate, will Sordo be attracted by the Fiesta over the seemingly stagnant Mini or will Malcolm finally promote the ever impressive and progressive Mads Ostberg - who I think with lots of testing can probably be up there, what do you guys think ???

stefanvv

October 17, 2012 2:50 PM

Ford options for drivers sounds reasonable. I wonder about another think - wouldn't MW be more inclined to hire some highly paying driver(s) for the next season now when Ford are gone from his financial background.

chris h - Unregistered

October 17, 2012 3:26 PM

Dafydd, last week I asked you did you really think petter deserved his seat at ford for next year. In a way its kind of a redundant question now. I suspect the seats at M-sport will now be filled by guys who come along with the extra funding needed. I dont think it will be like the current M-sport seat which are practically "paid for" drives. My guess is that next years team will have some budget and to complete it, the likes of the 3 norwegians, Ostberg, Solberg & Mikkelson can bring some backing. Im not sure how much backing Sordo can get. Then again, Citroen will be similar next year too, I guess the citroen drivers will have to bring in some sponsership too. VW will be the only team with full salary drivers. However, like you said, VW may not be that fast next year, Citroen have fast package and although Ford have pulled out as a Main sponser, they are still going to provide technical back up. All they have really done by pulling out is reduced its funding. Reading Gerard Quinn's t

MKD - Unregistered

October 17, 2012 5:12 PM

Even if VW isn't right on the pace of Ford and Citroen considering their full factory backup it isn't going to take long before they catch up with them. Ogier is VW n.1 driver, so does this mean that Latvala can't challenge for the title?

Billy - Unregistered

October 17, 2012 5:56 PM

@ stogie5150

I wouldn't like to think Matt Wilson would get any of the seats. If he hadn't of been Malcolm's son we would never even have heard of him.

WRC for me - Unregistered

October 17, 2012 6:53 PM

I don't think the VW will be that slow. Remember, the Citroen is very fast and Ogier has driven it and won in it so he knows what the VW needs to match it. I reckon itll be quick straight out the box.

stefanvv

October 17, 2012 8:21 PM

Some videos from tests lately look promising, but I guess we will see when we see at Monte Carlo.
It also has this nice whistling sound of the turbo which can be heard in other cars (especially Group B AUDI S1 was very loud at it). I have the feeling it would be very spectacular car to watch:D

« 1 2