WRC » Solberg to sit out 2013 WRC season

Petter Solberg to sit out the 2013 WRC season

Jay - Unregistered

December 04, 2012 8:26 PM

Sad to see petter go, I have not been watching wrc for sometime, I miss the old cars wrx,evo,cosworth, a polo just don't sound like a rally car to me

Chris Straughan - Unregistered

December 04, 2012 11:26 PM

Sad to see another decent driver not have a drive. The big mistake the WRC ever did was cut the length of rallies. Before 99/2000 there were some 30 stages on every rally. Now in some there is only 12? TV coverage is pathetic as well.

Arthur Chapman - Unregistered

December 05, 2012 4:48 AM

Sad to see Petter Go. I have been following the sport since his first year and I will really miss his "big mouth" as a previous commenter put it. He was always one of the most flamboyant characters in the WRC and the sport needs his type to keep it interesting.

I think his career to a negative turn several years ago when he hit that hinklestien (is that spelled right?) in Germany. It was his worst crash ever and I think it changed him. He seemed to lose confidence from that point forward.

WRC problems - Previous posters have pointed out several good things, Using the same stages over again, the reduction of the length of a rally, the move from group N to super non production cars and so on.

I have three more to add.

1. The first one is trivial, but the loss of the rally safari (africa) is a sore point with me.

2. Sebatian Loeb is a huge problem to the WRC. He is an amazing driver, but has really made the sport boring. "Oh, who won the rally this weekend?" - "Oh, Seb

Arthur Chapman - Unregistered

December 05, 2012 4:52 AM

oops, ran out of space :)

Anyway. Seb always winning has made the sport really boring to watch.

3. Loss of manufatures. When I began watching we had Skoda, Mitsubishi, Hyundai, Subaru, Ford, and Peugeot. Now we have Citroen and Ford, sort of... Snore...

antaneca - Unregistered

December 05, 2012 5:47 AM

We must look to the future and its quite bright to my mind. Someone could say that B group was the best, but its the past.

Bill - Unregistered

December 05, 2012 10:56 AM

Brendan - agree with you on that one I guarantee Hyundai will sign him.

The biggest lose the WRC suffered was Colin McRae the second is Petter Solberg. Solberg was the only reason I kept watching the WRC after McRae lost his drive now I have no reason to watch it any more.

As of Mads Ostberg. Yes he deserves to have the M-sport seat and be payed to drive but you can be sure that its him paying M-sport for the privilege.

RW - Unregistered

December 10, 2012 2:57 PM

@antaneca

"Someone could say that B group was the best"

I would never say that. It was fine when there was plenty of money around and you could still buy a homologation special like Lancia Stratos Renault 5 Turbo. What are the options now? DS3? I am looking through the specs and I see "tinted windows", "cruise with speed limiter".... Come on!

"Loeb admitted that he have more fun to drive DS3 rather then C4. Its good direction."

What WRC needs is manufacturers. When WRC spec cars are irrelevant to anything sold to customers there is a big detachment here and rally fan would rather buy a Subaru or EVO then a championship winning Citroen DS3.
If WRC is not selling cars what's the point for manufacturers to get engaged? There are many other ways like F1 or various touring cars championships with much better coverage then WRC.

« 1 2 3