WRC » Wilson keen to get Bouffier out again

Malcolm Wilson says he'd like to see Bryan Bouffier drive a Fiesta RS WRC car again this year.

DafyddLarcombe

January 20, 2014 10:23 AM

I had understood that he was going to do monte in a Hyundai but it couldn't be confirmed as solid at the time (now I understand it was because of talks with Sordo), I bet Hyundai are kicking themselves now having dropped Bouffier for Sordo. It sounds like Hyundai are still considering him for a seat, although I think they are spreading themselves a bit thin with what would be 4 part time drivers in Sordo, Hanninen, Atkinson and now possibly Bouffier too.

Obviously Sordo is doing all the Asphalt Rallies and Hanninen is doing Sweeden all the remaining gravel rallies with the exception of Oz which will be the sole event for Atkinson, so if Hyundai do sign Bouffier it would clearly have to be a 3rd car, which would be impressive.

DafyddLarcombe

January 20, 2014 2:48 PM

I just thought I would say that whilst I do not wish to add insult to injury, it only goes to show that what the Fiesta WRC is and was capable of. It has to be said that I was a little bit surprised at Mikko and his lack of pace on Monte, I thought he would of been comfortably fighting for a Podium place on the Monte with all his experience.

Sweden is next up and it will be his chance to Redeem himself. If he is once again off the pace in Sweeden it will be a sign that he will struggle for the rest of the season. I hope Malcolm can help him unlock his old speed, and fast..........

rtfgvbyuhjnm

January 23, 2014 4:32 AM

Taz: It still confuses my why Hyundai picked Sordo.

Why are you confused? Dani Sordo is a good driver, for me personally, I would rank him in the top five, as the best complete driver in this year WRC group. Furthermore, Hyundai is a new team they need someone to give them well-rounded feedback on how the car is handling and behaving in mix conditions. This guy can bring in points for the team a huge plus and Bouffier result is good for a rookie just wait until the season is over before judging Sordo.

DafyddLarcombe

January 23, 2014 9:57 AM

I think Taz is right ! we don't need to wait all season to judge Sordo, in any case, he will not be driving the rest of the season, such is his average form on gravel events he has only been chosen to do Germany, Spain and France. Even with Top drivers spread thin around teams this year he could not get a Full time seat with Hyundai. This is not a personal attack on him, merely an observation of the facts

He has had a good run of chances with Citroen, granted he was asked to fall back a few times when he was getting too close to Golden Boy on Asphalt but in this Sport you need to be quick on every surface and he just never got there, he has been Really quick on Gravel the odd time, but that's all it has been, the odd time, out of the Blue

I just think if I was Nanden I would of chosen Bouffier (certainly no Rookie) as he is on the way up rather than Sordo who is on his way out, but I know that Sordo brings money so that's probably the reason. That small detail usually makes all the d

DafyddLarcombe

January 23, 2014 10:08 AM

Cont :

That small detail makes all the difference when you are trying to secure a seat in the WRC. Bouffier is certainly No Rookie, he has extensive experience and given that he is fairly new to WRC machinery it is quite refreshing how well he performed on Monte 2014, his previous best finish here in a WRC Car was an impressive 5th place a DS3 WRC

Malcolm is right to be keen to get him out again asap