WRC » Neuville: Top five a huge achievement

Thierry Neuville grabs top-five in Argentina after a rally of 'ups and downs' for Hyundai

DafyddLarcombe

May 21, 2014 10:11 AM

lol its easy to get a little quick on the draw to comment but I think I know what you were trying to suggest

I have to confess I have been quite surprised at how much progress Hyundai have made since Monte Carlo. I think Sordo is excited about something, maybe he has been assured that he can drive without Team Orders if he finds himself as the lead Hyundai

The car has improved a lot since I myself made a comment about the Briggs and Stratton engine, but I think that Neuville will gain momentum in the 2nd half of the season as the car starts to not only perform stronger but become more reliable

DafyddLarcombe

May 16, 2014 2:27 PM

In all fairness the Hyundai isn't really inferior, that isn't so much an insult to Hyundai, but more an insult to all the cars and drivers it has beaten when setting fastest stage times, I think they have had 4 or 5 fastest times now in total

This proves that they have come on leaps and bounds with the car and setting a fastest time in the WRC is by no means a Fluke !

Hyundai are an up and coming Team. I Can see them fighting for Overall victories in next years WRC. Neuville will get his victories and be financially comfortable at the same time. A Bright Boy if you ask me !

Gilles74

May 15, 2014 9:24 PM

Sordo does have an outside chance of winning Germany. But will the i20 hold up? Probably not. Obviously, the VW is superior. We will likely see another JML - Seb.2 shootout
But Poland is next, homeland of a certain former F1 pilot. After seeing a reformed Kubica, and considering sealed surface as a strength combined with whatever being home can add, a top 5, maybe podium would be spendid result to Malcolm and M- Sport / Ford. We agree, this may also help WRC as a sport
Regarding Neuville, I just really wonder what kind of money is worth delaying your championship future to "spearhead" an inferior product

DafyddLarcombe

May 14, 2014 4:20 PM

All in all I think that the car is doing quite well, far better than the days when Hyundai (MSD) and Seat initially dipped a Toe into the water that we call the WRC

I think VW proved that with the right people and the right approach it is very possible for a Team to enter the WRC and get on well almost straight away. I think drivers are a crucial part of any new Team though and having a driver like Ogier or Neuville to spearhead the Team is Vital

5th place was a Good result considering the Mechnical issues that they had with both cars, I think that they will have quite a few issues through the year and will come back a lot stronger in 2015 having addressed them all.

Maybe Sordo has an outside chance of again winning in Germany if they get it together and improve the car a little bit more by then.

Gilles74

May 20, 2014 12:55 AM

For sure the Hyundai has the speed and I agree, this is commendable. I think what I was trying to say was that the team is "under-developed" (not that I hold that against them, they are a young team)

In all honesty I am a fan of Neuville and I'm excited to see him do well. My inarticulate "complaint" was based on curiosity and an uninformed impatience on my part, with maybe a little bit of an attempt to provoke a reply

The last thing I would want is to insult the drivers competing this season. I don't have to tell you how captivating the action has been so far. My apologies to all. I'll mind my comments