WRC » Positive debut for Toyota’s GT86 CS-R3

Toyota's new GT86 CS-R3 project made its first WRC appearance at the weekend, running as a course car on Rallye Germany.

DafyddLarcombe

August 26, 2014 4:15 PM

The car originally shown in the picture was the car that Tommi Makkinen built for Akido Toyoda and drove him through one of the stages on Rally Finland where I happened to be watching. I can say that it really impressed me as I did not expect this car. The original picture showed the car with the Neste Oil logo on the door, so it was the 4WD Turbo charged car that I saw on Rally Finland last month.

If this car was an R3 Car then I can confidently say that it would easily beat the current R3 Cars, but then it was being driven by the scruff of its neck by a certain Tommi Makkinen when I saw it - lol, but crash.net have since updated the picture to show the correct and actual R3 car used in Germany which is certainly not the same Beast I saw in Finland

Rowdy75

August 26, 2014 4:33 PM

Dafydd, I believe the car that Tommi built and drove at Finland is turbocharged, I'm not sure that the R3 car driven in Germany is the same as the one pictured, and believe it is naturally aspirated, although I could be wrong.

DafyddLarcombe

August 26, 2014 5:06 PM

well Crash.net seem to of initially used the picture of the more potent car built and driven by Tommi in Finland, so clearly maybe this is not the same car as appeared in Germany.

The car in Finland was Turbo charged for sure and looked like it was 4 wheel drive too but I could be wrong about the 4wd bit as I was stood on a fast peace of road

ALangheck

August 26, 2014 10:50 PM

The red car in the photo is from Rally Finland, and is a private project run by Tommi Makinen Racing, for the Toyota president Akio Toyoda. It's basically an Impreza in a GT-86 shell.

The 'official' GT-86 CS R3 ran as course car in the hands of Isolde Holderied.

[EDITORS NOTE - STORY NOW UPDATED TO SHOW CORRECT PICTURE. APOLOGIES FOR CONFUSION - CRASH.NET]

DafyddLarcombe

August 27, 2014 10:00 AM

I understand that Akido Toyoda required a car to wet the appetite of the Board, so he approached Tommi to build the car for him. He himself is the Chairman of the board of Directors for Toyota but obviously he needs approval from the whole Board to be able to Sign off on a Full WRC Programme and Return to the Top Level of Rallying.

He was somehow hoping that the Tommi Makkinen car would do the trick.

I am not sure it did or has though, but maybe what VW and Hyundai have done in terms of success so soon after entering the WRC would be a much more convincing case for him and the Board of Directors, especially the escalation of progress and success of Hyundai since joining.

DafyddLarcombe

August 27, 2014 2:49 PM

Aah, I see the picture of the Car driven by tommi Makkinen has now been replaced with the picture of the actual car used in Rally Deutschland by Isolde Holdereid. So it seems there are two very different cars after all.

gareth james

August 28, 2014 6:01 PM

Yes the CS R3 will be a reality next season. Shame they have canned the BRC for next season this car would be fantastic to see fighting the unspectacular front wheel drive DS3 R3t for overall victory. It would be just the shot in the arm the British rally championship needs a TTGB but the MSA are too far up their own you no whats counting their cash.