Proton will expand its line-up to a two-car team in time for the Intercontinental Rally Challenge's visit to Czech Republic in August, team principal Chris Mellors has confirmed.
The Malaysian manufacturer made its IRC debut on the Belgium Ypres Rally last month, fielding a single entry for the British driver Guy Wilks. On Rally Russia recently, the team took its first IRC points when Wilks finished an impressive fourth on the gravel event.
Now Mellors has revealed that the construction of a second Proton Satria Neo Super 2000 will be completed in time for next month's Barum Rally Zlin, although he is keeping the details of his new signing under wraps.
"We will have a second car for the Barum Rally but I am not able to say who will be driving it," Mellors said.
Meanwhile, Mellors explained that preparations were already underway for the next round of the IRC, Rali Vinho Madeira, from July 30-August 1.
"The car returned to the UK on Thursday (July 16) and we will leave with the car for Madeira on Tuesday (July 21),” he said. “In that time we will carry out a full rebuild and convert the car to Tarmac specification. We plan to test when we get to Madeira."