Stobart Ford's Henning Solberg has retired from day two of the Neste Oil Rally Finland in the second stage of the day.

Henning had made a good start to the second leg by overhauling Matti Rantanen and moving up to fifth in SS11.

However around 10 kilometres into SS12 his challenge was brought to a halt when he sustained damage to the front suspension at a slow hairpin corner. This resulted in the driveshaft coming loose, leaving the car with no drive and forcing the Norwegian out of the day's action.

"I am really disappointed to be out today," said Henning. "Things had been going really well this morning and we had moved ahead of Rantanen on the first stage which was one of my main goals for the day.

"The suspension broke at a slow hairpin corner and the damage was just too bad to continue. I hope that we will be able to return tomorrow and SupeRally but the team will have to assess the car first."

Meanwhile Henning's brother, Petter, also had problems this morning after re-starting under the SupeRally. 'Hollywood' reported that his privately-run Citroen Xsara WRC was down on power after SS11 and he then had a suspension mount break in SS13.

"The engine is not working very well this morning and I don't know why," Petter confirmed. "The suspension mount broke through the bonnet in the last stage too so it's not looking very clever. We just have to get the car fixed ready in time for Spain now."

"When Petter went out first thing this morning, he reported that the engine felt like it had lost 20 per cent of its power," added Ken Rees, team manager for the Petter Solberg World Rally Team. "We do not know what it is yet and we are investigating it in this service.

"We have sponsors here as guests but if we cannot resolve the problem it is quite unlikely that Petter will go out in the next stages. Essentially there is no power and there is also little drive and motivation.

"He had to start 74th under the SupeRally format this morning and went quite well, actually setting a fifth fastest time. But then the right hand suspension top mount failed when he clipped a rock. Putting a temporary repair cost him 1 minute 30 seconds on the last stage and that effectively was that."


Join the conversation - Add your comment

Please login or register to add your comment