Kris Meeke has capped his title-winning season with victory in the final round of the Intercontinental Rally Challenge season in Scotland.

The Peugeot UK driver was embroiled in a heated battle with the Skoda Fabia of Guy Wilks throughout the event but made the key move on the final stage of day one, when he went 15 seconds quicker than his rival to take a lead of just over 20 seconds in the final day of the event.

While Wilks then went quickest on Saturday's opening stage, Meeke responded by going quickest on SS9 and SS10 to extend his advantage to 27.9secs before the return to service with just three stages left in the battle between the pair.

Wilks went quickest on SS11 as Meeke suffered a brief scare with a spin - albeit with the loss of less than a second - with Wilks then going quickest again on SS12 to bring the gap down to 20.7secs heading into the final stage of the event.

The 33km run through Loch Ard had been expected to provide a sting in the tail for crews and it proved to be the case for David Bogie, who had gone into the test lying fifth at the wheel of his Mitsubishi Lancer.

Unfortunately for the Scottish Rally champion, he rolled out of the event on the final test with his car coming to rest across the road; blocking the stage for the cars behind. As a result, the stage was cancelled and the field awarded notional times, which handed Meeke his fifth win of the season.

Wilks had to settle for second place on his debut with the Fabia, while Alister McRae picked up the final place on the podium at the wheel of his Proton Satria Neo - marking the first top three finish for the car in IRC competition.

Fourth went the way of Jonathan Greer in the leading Group N car with Bogie's accident ending the fight between the pair for class honours.

Amongst the fancied runners not to make it to the finish were leading British Rally Championship pair Keith Cronin and Adam Gould. New British champion Cronin saw his rally come to an end when he went off the road on Friday while Gould - at the wheel of the BFGoodrich Drivers' Team car - was forced out with water pump failure shortly after exiting the mid-day service on Friday.