PG Andersson is to take part in the opening round of the World Rally Championship in Sweden after a fans campaign secured the funds needed to secure his entry in the field.
Andersson had looked set to give up his place in the field when a serious of prospective sponsorship deals fell through, before being contacted by fans who were keen to help out.
A campaign was then launched which has allowed Andersson to secure the use of a new Ford Fiesta WRC for the event with the 30-year-old now keen to reward those who have put money in with a good result.
“On Tuesday last week, it was dead,” Andersson told the official WRC website. “I was not doing Sweden, everything had fallen apart. Then, on the Wednesday, somebody contacted me to ask for my bank account number. They said there were some fans who wanted to help. I thought: “I have nothing to lose.” So I gave them the number, which was then circulated on Facebook
“I still need a little bit more money, but the deal is done and I will drive the car in Sweden. It's fantastic to be out on that opening event, it's very important for me. After Sweden there's nothing in the WRC, but to be there on the first event with the next generation of World Rally Cars is great news. I have to say a big thank you to everybody who has helped me with this, there have been a lot of fellow rally drivers from Sweden who have put money in.”
Andersson will drive the ninth Fiesta RS WRC on the entry list, with four Citroen DS3 WRCs ensuring a total of 13 of the new generation of WRC machines will feature in the season opener.