WRC »

No Monte run for Meeke

Kris Meeke's to have to sit out WRC 2012 opener in Monte Carlo

Kris Meeke will miss Rallye Monte Carlo in January, the 2012 WRC season opener, it has been confirmed to Crash.net.

It is believed funding issues are to blame and as such Dani Sordo and Pierre Campana will pilot the factory MINI John Cooper Works WRC cars at the Principality.

Earlier this week MINI missed the deadline to register as a WRC manufacturer [see separate story - click here] and while Sordo has since confirmed on his personal website that he will do 'at least ten WRC events this season' [see separate story - click here], the outlook for Meeke doesn't look as bright.

“Kris is still very much part of the team and we hope he should be driving competitively at some point [in 2012],” a source at Prodrive told Crash.net. “We don't know when however. But he will be doing testing and development.

“We [the MINI WRT] will be at the majority of events [next season], that is our plan, and with at least one car, most likely two.

“But we haven't confirmed exactly who the drivers will be on each event beyond Monte Carlo.”

“[As I said] we haven't finalised exactly what we will run for the rest of the year yet,” the source added.

“We are just coming to an agreement with the FIA for our entry. We haven't got that agreement yet. However it should be sorted in the very near future. We are confident it will all go through and we will be there as a manufacturer.

“But as you can imagine the FIA's focus at the moment is on sorting out the promoter situation.”

WRC promoter North One Sport has been left in a somewhat precarious situation after parent company, Convers Sports Initiatives (CSI), went into administration last month. This uncertainty has still to be fully resolved. Indeed the World Motor Sport Council 'discussed' the developments involving the North One Sport, and CSI, at its final meeting of the year earlier this month in New Delhi, adding that the 'FIA is committed to ensuring the long-term commercial future of the Championship and will make every endeavour to provide for its future stability.”

Meanwhile, writing on Twitter today, Meeke seemingly confirmed a lack of money has cost him his drive.

“Ever wonder what it would be like to have the girl you loved tell you she's leaving you to go work as a prostitute? #MotorsportCanBeDangerous,” he wrote.



Related Pictures

Click on relevant pic to enlarge
Kris Meeke (GB) Paul Nagle (IRL), Mini John Cooper Works, MINI WRC TEAM
Kris Meeke (GB) Paul Nagle (IRL), Mini John Cooper Works, MINI WRC TEAM
Kris Meeke (GB) Paul Nagle (IRL), Mini John Cooper Works, MINI WRC TEAM
Kris Meeke (GB) Paul Nagle (IRL), Mini John Cooper Works, MINI WRC TEAM
Kris Meeke (GB) Paul Nagle (IRL), Mini John Cooper Works, MINI WRC TEAM
Kris Meeke (GB), Mini John Cooper Works, MINI WRC TEAM

Join the conversation - Add your comment

Please login or register before adding your comments.

Although the administrators and moderators of this website will attempt to keep all objectionable comments off these pages, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the poster, and neither Crash Media Group nor Crash.Net will be held responsible for the content of any message. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. If you find a message objectionable, please contact us and inform us of the problem or use the [report] function next to the offending post. Any message that does not conform with the policy of this service can be edited or removed with immediate effect.


Mrploppy - Unregistered

December 23, 2011 3:09 PM

I think its been very clear from the outset that mini/bmw have been trying to get a wrc program on the cheap & now it has finally come to a head with them not putting the money up for a full entry next year. Its really harsh on kris who did a good job last year with limited experience & arguably he could of gone really well on this event because its one he actually has experiance of it.

Arkady - Unregistered

December 24, 2011 12:54 AM

Jeff lad, congratulations on writing an absolute load of dung. Meeke retired once through an off as did Sordo. Rally Australia was never on the schedule and there was no problem with the FIA about it. Why? Mini weren't registered for the championship so they could've done none, one or 10 rounds if they wanted to. They did 6 events as the start of the car's development. The budget for 2012 was dependent on a major sponsor who did not commit so how could it have been allocated. Funds ran out



© 1999 - 2014 Crash Media Group

The total or partial reproduction of text, photographs or illustrations is not permitted in any form.