25 August 2012
Sebastien Loeb profits from better conditions in SS7 and heads to the RSZ after SS8 with his lead up to 41.6 seconds; Petter Solberg remains second, although Dani Sordo is now third, after Jari-Matti Latvala spun...
Citroen's Sebastien Loeb has gained further ground in Germany this morning, as his rivals lost out in the rain-hit SS7.
Loeb began the second day with a 20.4 second cushion over Petter Solberg, but while he did have to negotiate Stein & Wein 1, the opening test of the leg, in the rain, conditions deteriorated for those further back. As such he was 21.4 seconds up on Solberg, who was second quickest, and while the Frenchman did take it a bit cautiously in SS8, and was only third fastest, he was only 0.2 seconds slower than Hollywood. As a result he now goes into the short remote service zone in Birkenfeld with his overnight lead up to 41.6 seconds.
Solberg meanwhile is now his only realistic threat, after Jari-Matti Latvala lost 30-odd seconds in Peterberg 1 with a spin and dropped back from third to fifth.
Latvala's error has allowed Dani Sordo to move up to third in his Prodrive WRC Team-run MINI John Cooper Works WRC car, the Spaniard enjoying a good morning and topping the times in SS8.
Thierry Neuville trails Sordo in fourth, and the Belgian is only 0.8 seconds back – and only 2.2 seconds up on Latvala in P5, setting things up nicely for a great three-way scrap for the final podium position.
Behind, Mikko Hirvonen is sixth and still off the pace, with Ott Tanak, Mads Ostberg and Chris Atkinson in positions 7 through to 9. Sebastien Ogier completes the top ten.
In the support categories, Michal Kosciuszko is back in the lead in the PWRC, after Benito Guerra lost out with a puncture in SS7, while Elfyn Evans continues to head the WRC Academy.
The morning loop now concludes with a run through the awesome 46.54 kilometre Arena Panzerplatte test. SS9 is due to start at 10.52 hours local time [09.52 hours UK time].
Rallye Deutschland: Overall standings after Stage 8 (Top 10):
1. Sebastien Loeb Citroen Total WRT DS3 WRC 1hour 43mins 36.7secs M
2. Petter Solberg Ford WRT Fiesta RS WRC +00mins 41.6secs M
3. Dani Sordo Prodrive WRC Team MINI John Coopers Works WRC +01m 25.9secs
4. Thierry Neuville Citroen Junior WRT DS3 WRC +01mins 26.7secs M
5. Jari-Matti Latvala Ford WRT Fiesta RS WRC +01mins 28.9secs M
6. Mikko Hirvonen Citroen Total WRT DS3 WRC +01mins 59.9secs M
7. Ott Tanak M-Sport Ford WRT Fiesta RS WRC +02mins 34.1secs M
8. Mads Ostberg Adapta WRT Fiesta RS WRC +02mins 39.3secs M
9. Chris Atkinson WRC MINI Team Portugal John Cooper Works WRC +04mins 44.3secs
10. Sebastien Ogier VW Motorsport Skoda Fabia S2000 +05mins 49.0secs
11. Peter van Merksteijn Jr van Merksteijn Motorsport Citroen DS3 WRC +06mins 11.9secs
12. Nasser Al-Attiyah Qatar WRT Citroen DS3 WRC +07mins 00.0secs M
13. Andreas Mikkelsen VW Motorsport Skoda Fabia S2000 +07mins 02.4secs
PWRC standings after Stage 8 - Top 3:
1. Michal Kosciuszko Mitsubishi Lancer Evo IX 1hour 56mins 49.6secs P
2. Benito Guerra Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X +02mins 02.8secs P
3. Subhan Aksa Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X +03mins 41.2secs P
WRC Academy standings after Stage 8 – Top 3:
1. Elfyn Evans Ford Fiesta R2 1hour 59mins 36.4secs A
2. Jose Suarez Ford Fiesta R2 +00mins 50.8secs A
3. Brendan Reeves Ford Fiesta R2 +01mins 14.7secs A
SS1. Evgeny Novikov M-Sport Ford WRT Fiesta RS WRC Went off M*
SS2. Paulo Nobre WRC MINI Team Portugal John Cooper Works WRC Stopped in stage*
SS3. Martin Prokop Czech Ford National Team Ford Fiesta RS WRC Car caught fire
* denotes re-started under Rally 2
all times unofficial
Click on relevant pic to enlarge
the conversation - Add your comment
Although the administrators and moderators of this website will attempt to keep all objectionable comments off these pages, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the poster, and neither Crash Media Group nor Crash.Net will be held responsible for the content of any message. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. If you find a message objectionable, please contact us and inform us of the problem or use the [report] function next to the offending post. Any message that does not conform with the policy of this service can be edited or removed with immediate effect.