Dani Sordo meanwhile is still fifth in his Prodrive-run MINI John Cooper Works WRC car. The Spaniard reported brake problems in SS6, but otherwise ran pretty strongly.
“It was not like we expected today,” Sordo said. “The tyre choice today was good this morning, maybe we could have taken two soft, but this afternoon we have some problems with the brakes and we lost a bit of time with the others. The brake was going a little long, but I think the mechanics will fix it and then tomorrow we target the podium.”
Thierry Neuville has slipped back to sixth, after a somewhat scrappy afternoon in his Citroen Junior WRT DS3 WRC. The Belgian spun in SS5 and then made another error in SS8, when he damaged the right rear rim.
“I'm pleased to be on the pace,” Neuville stated. “I lost too much time for my liking on the Mulhouse stage. But we have learned a lot again today, both in terms of driving and regarding our approach to the set-up of the car.”
Behind, Mads Ostberg is next up, 4.9 seconds back, while M-Sport Ford duo Ott Tanak and Evgeny Novikov hold positions eight and nine. Sebastien Chardonnet rounds out the top-ten on his first outing in the WRC with a Citroen DS3 WRC car, with Chris Atkinson and Martin Prokop eleventh and twelfth respectively.
In the support categories, Hayden Paddon moved ahead of Craig Breen and into the lead in the SWRC in SS6. Paddon eventually finished the day 2.2 seconds up on Breen, with P-G Andersson third. As for the WRC Academy, Elfyn Evans continues to dominate, now over a minute up on Jose Suarez.
Rallye de France Alsace now continues on Saturday and it is the longest leg of the event.
Day two includes 192.80 competitive kilometres in total, with SS9, Massif des Grands Crus-Ungersberg 1, due to start at 08.38 hours local time [07.38 hours UK time].
Rallye de France-Alsace: Overall standings after Stage 8 (Top 10):
1. Sebastien Loeb Citroen Total WRT DS3 WRC 1 hour 17mins 32.6secs M
2. Jari-Matti Latvala Ford WRT Fiesta RS WRC +00mins 13.1secs M
3. Mikko Hirvonen Citroen Total WRT DS3 WRC +00mins 32.6secs M
4. Petter Solberg Ford WRT Fiesta RS WRC +00mins 33.3secs M
5. Dani Sordo Prodrive MINI John Cooper Works WRC +00mins 48.8secs
6. Thierry Neuville Citroen Junior WRT DS3 WRC +00mins 55.4secs M
7. Mads Ostberg Adapta WRT Fiesta RS WRC +01mins 00.3secs M
8. Ott Tanak M-Sport Ford WRT Fiesta RS WRC +01mins 22.4secs M
9. Evgeny Novikov M-Sport Ford WRT Fiesta RS WRC +01mins 35.9secs M
10. Sebastien Chardonnet FFSA Citroen WRT DS3 WRC +02mins 51.0secs
11. Chris Atkinson WRC MINI Team Portugal John Cooper Works WRC +03mins 14.4secs
12. Martin Prokop Czech Ford National Team Fiesta RS WRC +03mins 25.1secs
13. Nasser Al-Attiyah Qatar WRT Citroen DS3 WRC +03mins 27.8secs M
14. Sebastien Ogier VW Motorsport Skoda Fabia S2000 +03mins 44.1secs
15. Andreas Mikkelsen VW Motorsport Skoda Fabia S2000 +03mins 49.1secs
16. Julien Maurin Ford Fiesta WRC +03mins 59.4secs
17. Hayden Paddon Skoda Fabia S2000 +05mins 16.3secs S
18. Craig Breen Ford Fiesta S2000 +05mins 18.5secs S
19. Romain Dumas MINI John Cooper Works WRC +05mins 21.9secs
20. Yvan Muller MINI John Cooper Works WRC +06mins 00.5secs
24. Daniel Oliveira Brazil WRT Ford Fiesta RS WRC +07mins 48.2secs M
29. Paolo Nobre WRC MINI Team Portugal John Cooper Works WRC +09mins 34.1secs
SWRC standings after Stage 8 (Top 3):
1. Hayden Paddon Skoda Fabia S2000 1hour 22mins 48.9secs S
2. Craig Breen Ford Fiesta S2000 +00mins 02.2secs S
3. PG Andersson Proton Satria Neo S2000 +01mins 10.2secs S
WRC Academy standings after Stage 8 (Top 3):
1. Elfyn Evans Ford Fiesta R2 1hour 29mins 20.7secs A
2. Jose Suarez Ford Fiesta R2 +01mins 14.1secs A
3. John MacCrone Ford Fiesta R2 +01mins 23.2secs A
all times unofficial
Click on relevant pic to enlarge
the conversation - Add your comment
Although the administrators and moderators of this website will attempt to keep all objectionable comments off these pages, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the poster, and neither Crash Media Group nor Crash.Net will be held responsible for the content of any message. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. If you find a message objectionable, please contact us and inform us of the problem or use the [report] function next to the offending post. Any message that does not conform with the policy of this service can be edited or removed with immediate effect.